3 Misconceptions on Interacial Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

I never had the opportunity to date somebody out of my ethnicity but then I started somebody who came from an ethnicity that was very different from mine. I didn’t think it would be very different or hard at all but I was surprised to find out how different two people can be even though they grew up in the same area and did similar things while growing up.

1. It’s surprising how overwhelming a new culture can be.

When I first started dating my boyfriend, I felt a little uncomfortable because we come from two very different cultures. His family was especially warm and physically affectionate with me which was something I was not used to. Especially trying new food that I was already convinced I did not like, but I didn’t want to see rude so I tried it regardless (which I like now!)

2. Sometimes their little habits come from their culture

I didn’t believe that habits can come from your culture but then I noticed small things that my boyfriend does that his family does too. For example, he loves showing affection physically which I thought was super weird but then I realized it’s just something Spanish people just do. I have learned to appreciate these actions because I know that it’s just their way of showing love and kindness.

3. You think that you’re dating a person but you’re actually being immersed in a new culture

I actually asked my boyfriend what his first impressions were when he met my family and when he started dating me. He said when he first started dating me, he thought that he was dating “me” but he realized he was almost “dating” my culture. Since I spend so much time with my family, he realized that he had to embrace my culture and he would have to learn to understand it so he feels more comfortable.

Hi, I'm Lynsey! I am a 20 something full-time Communications student at SFU, the past PR/Marketing Director of HC SFU, and current Campus Correspondent. I am also an avid literature lover, coffee consumer, and aspiring PR professional who is still fairly new to the city, as my roots are deep in the West Kootenays.  Follow me on Instagram @lynseygray, to get to know me better at lynseygray.ca, or connect with me on LinkedIn https://ca.linkedin.com/in/lynsey-gray-088755aa