13 Signs You Grew Up in a Big Family

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

Growing up in a big family is an insane and incredibly rewarding experience at the same time. You have the opportunity to have sleepovers EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, you are never lonely, and your best friends live in your house. 

If you grew up in a big family, you will probably be able relate to the situations that arise from living in a crowded household, such as constantly getting bombarded by people stealing your clothes and hogging the bathroom.

So, here are 13 signs you grew up in a big family:

1. You are accustomed to noise. 

Your family is loud, and there is seldom silence in your household. As a result, you get accustomed to load noises. It’s almost supernatural how you have evolved over the years. You have honed your ability to tune out certain sounds, and the echo of activity in your house actually serves as source of familiarity and comfort. 

2. You forget names.

It has proven difficult to keep track of all their names, ages, birthdays, favourite colours, allergies, interests, and grades. We all forget sometimes, but still, when it happens it’s all shock and horror. Like, “How dare you forget my name?!” No, I have my own life. There are too many of you; this is not my fault. 

3. You go broke at Christmas.

Dear family: I love you all dearly. However, I am poor. I cannot afford to buy all of you (nice) presents. Regardless of this, you know I will still buy you presents, because money trumps Christmas morning, but like, hey – meet broke me, who cries in the shower because she can’t afford shampoo.

4. Personal belongings are communal. 

Now, of course this doesn’t apply to all big families, because I know there are some out there who respect boundaries, and get along swimmingly in that regard. On the other hand, if you were anything like my family, personal belongings were communal (but not out of free will). We created this flawed system where we would all (yes, I am a guilty perpetrator of this terrible act) just take each other’s belongings whenever we wanted – and it was terrible. It’s all fun and games until it’s 7:30 in the morning, you are running late for school, and your shampoo has magically disappeared. 

5. Taking a family photo is exhausting.

Photos are a way to capture memories that we will remember for a lifetime, everyone smiles and 3, 2, 1… cheese! Taking a family photo sounds nice, right? It can be, sure. However, if you have a large family, taking family photos can prove quite challenging. In reality, what lies underneath those uniformed smiles are emotions such as anger, disgust, annoyance and discomfort. Why? There are just too many people! Organizing the picture is a nightmare. Person A will refuse to cooperate. Person B needs everything to be perfect. Person C doesn’t like where they’re situated. Person D is annoying. Person E won’t stop blinking. No one can find person F. Don’t even get me started on person G. 

6. Bringing your S.O. to meet your family is a big deal.

To some, bringing your S.O. to meet your family is no big deal. To those who have large families, bringing your S.O. to meet your family IS a big deal. You are confident in your S.O. and their abilities to be human, however, you recognize that your family is in their own right – kind of insane. Therefore, you dread the day when this catastrophic event transpires. 

Until inevitably, it will have to happen and you know that your family will either love your S.O. or HATE them. Good luck!

7. You talk fast and loudly.

Why do people in large families talk fast and loudly? Well, we have been conditioned, since birth, to speak up if you would like to be heard or else YOU WILL BE IGNORED. And you better learn how to talk fast, before people lose interest or you are interrupted. 

8. People ask you if your family is Catholic.

Scenario One:

“Why yes, yes we are.”

Scenario Two:

“You can’t just ask people if they’re Catholic.” 

9. You eat REALLY fast.

Ignite survival mode. The kitchen table become your home’s local watering hole. Therefore, it’s kill or be killed. May the odds be ever in your favour. 

10. Half of your wardrobe consists of hand-me-downs.

When you have a big family, there are some elements that cannot be escaped; one of which is hand-me-downs. Yes, this dreaded social practice where parents think it is okay to recycle old, torn, dirty clothes (just kidding – I needed the emphasis.) Remember, my fellow comrades, this is just a stage, and if you think about it, it’s actually a rite of passage. In this light, cherish the time you have with your older sister’s dirty clothes and when you’ve put in said time, never look back (and burn them).

11. There is always a wait for the bathroom.

Oh, you want to pee? That’s really to bad because Becky is going to be in the bathroom for the next three hours putting on her make up and shaving her armpits. 

*Becky leaves bathroom a year later* 

I hope you were not looking forward to a nice, relaxing, long, hot shower because Becky, of course, used all the hot water. Dammit Becky. 

12. The seat save.

Growing up in a large family means you learn to claim your seat at an early age. In fact, it’s a primitive instinct. What does this look like? Well, you’re watching T.V. and realize you are a little parched. You get up to pour a glass of water, but first… you must claim your seat BEFORE you get up, or else it will be lost to you forever. Even then, nothing is set in stone and you know that your siblings are not to be trusted. My advice? Be prepared! Make a pre-movie snack pack, grab a water bottle, and pee BEFORE you sit down.

13. You grew up with your best friends.

You absolutely love to hate them! They’re the best and the worst all at the same time. You drive each other insane 99% of the time, but at the end of the day they are your best friends, and no one can understand you like they do.

The best thing about family is that they will always be there for you. Over time, friends can become family too (now that’s the best). At the end of the day, these people will love and support you no matter what. So, whether you grew up in a big family, or a small one, we all have someone whom we call our brother or sister. Let this fact ground you if you are ever feeling lonely, because there is always someone’s arm you can punch, someone whom you can call names, someone who will steal your seat on the couch, and someone who you will adore for the rest of your life.

Skye Mandin is a Communications major at Simon Fraser University who is working towards a minor in everything. She enjoys long walks on the beach, running in the rain, chocolate milk, and good company. She plans to one-day travel the world in order to get immersed in culture, architecture, love, and adventure.