Why You Need A Pet Plant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Photo by: Joy Meregini

I’ve recently decided that I wanted to commit to something that requires care and attention, so I went with a pet plant that I have now named rainbow.  To contradict what you might believe, having a pet plant isn’t as easy as it seems. They require your love and care just like an animal. Though I’ll admit not as much, they still make great pets and here are a few reasons why:

They’re good for the environment. I thought that it would be great to start off with the obvious. They provide oxygen by the process of photosynthesis, helping us to breath. And who’s ever heard anyone say that we’ve got too many plants living on this earth? 

It is a great start to learning how to keep a living thing… living, Unlike a dog or a human. Maybe start small with something that won’t grow up to suffer from all your mistakes.  See how committing to a plant goes before committing to an animal.

Your love will never be rejected. You may not be able to squeeze or hug your pet plant, but you can tell it countless time how much it means to you and there is a guarantee that it won’t run away.

You can talk to it day and night and it has no choice but to listen. An added plus, you talking to it expels carbon dioxide onto your pet plant, helping it to grow.

I hope that I have lit up a desire for you to go to you to own your very own pet plant today. Take care of it, and don’t forget to water.

Photo by: Joy Meregini

Joy Meregini is currently a student at Stephen F. Austin State University, majoring in Psychology and is on the pre-med track. She is a writer for HerCampus SFA. Joy believes that being a psychology major allows her to focus on people, and how to reach and understand them, which inspires her writing. Joy is a member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. Joy holds an Associates from Tyler Junior College. During her down time she enjoys watching, and sobbing over episodes of This Is Us, and she is forever trying to learn a new language (still hasn’t).
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.