Spring Fashion Trends: Color Blocking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Spring is here (or at least it is finally starting to feel like it on the SFA campus) and its time to put away coats, and sweatpants and break out the shorts and color! A hot trend this year is “colorblocking”, a bold mix of colors, and it is just the perfect trend for spring!
The colorblocking trend has been seen on all the hottest runways this spring during fashion weeks in America and Europe.  From the bold style of Marc Jacobs, to the “Americana” themed Tommy Hilfiger runways, color is in! Here are some tips to follow the trend and look great on campus!

1. Don’t overdo it. Colorblocking is about mixing several colors, but don’t go overboard. Stick to three or four colors, and stay with colors that are flattering to your skin tone and that you feel comfortable in.
  2. Use it to accessorize. Wear a pair of colorblock shoes or earrings to spice up a simple t-shirt and jean ensemble.
  3. Make sure your clothes are flattering. This is a general fashion rule, but wearing a brightly colored top or bottom can highlight parts of your body you might not be comfortable with.

Still don’t know where to start? Here are some sample colorways that are really popular right now!

• Coral, Gray, Ivory
  • Blue, Yellow and Orange
  • Brown, Pink and Teal

Several retail outlets such as Forever 21, and Target have several pieces in their inventory that would work with the trend. If you are looking for an unique piece, take up another popular trend and go to your local thrift or vintage store! 

Jessika Davidson is a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University majoring in Radio/TV communications with an emphasis in news writing and a public relations/photojournalism double minor. From Houston, TX, the humorous and vivacious campus socialite came to Nacogdoches to escape the hustle and bustle of Texas' big city. When she's not hard at work at the campus radio or TV station, she's often doing community service projects around town with her sorority sisters of Gamma Sigma Sigma, of which she is the chapter president of. She also enjoys working at her jobs, one as a Master Control Operator for the KTRE-9 TV station and one as the owner of Jessika Davidson Photography, where she travels the state with her beloved nikon, affectionately named "Gary", to shoot weddings. She is beyond excited to be a campus correspondent for SFA, and hopes to become a video journalist (news reporter) or a host of a entertainment show.