Shara Johnson – Beautician

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.
1. Tell HC about your background. When is your birthday? Where did you grow up? What is your major? And why did you choose to study at SFA?

My birthday is on Christmas day. I was born in Houston, Texas – but I was mostly raised in Dallas. I just moved to New Orleans over Christmas break. My major is Criminal Justice and I transferred to SFA from Prairie View. I transferred to SFA because PV wasn’t as organized as SFA. My best friend was a freshman and I think she is who turned me on to SFA. I applied here, but decided to go to Prairie View first and it turned out to be a big mistake.

2. How did you discover you had a talent doing hair and nails? What inspired you?

I started doing it originally because I just needed the money, but then I needed it pay my medical bills. People always feel good when I finish with their hair or nails and get a little ego boost. I like doing it and I like making people feel good.

3. Do you charge for your services? If so, how much?

I do. With hair, it varies based on the style and that person’s budget. For example, if all someone has is $5, then they pay $5. I’m very reasonable. As far as nails go, I charge half of what a salon would charge or more than half. Like, if a salon charges $25, I normally would charge $12.

4. Has anything “crazy” ever happened when you were working with a client? If so, please tell!

Nothing crazy really happens. For the most part the client and I talk, play video games on their phones, or text. Well, I did have one client whom I was braiding her hair, and she just kept making theses grunting noises. It got really weird.

5. Do you have to compete with other people on campus who do the same thing? If so, why do you think people pick you over the other person?
As far as hair goes, I do have a little competition because some girls on campus have licenses and I don’t. For nails, I don’t really think there are other people on campus who do nails. I think clients choose me because of the convenience and the prices, and also because they feel welcome with me. I had a client once who wouldn’t stop complimenting me. She had a bad experience with another salon and now she only comes to me.

6. If you could fast forward through college, where do you see yourself at? In what kind of job? Do you think you’ll still be doing hair and nails?

I could be doing just about anything to be honest. Like I said earlier, my major is Criminal Justice, but I am also minoring in Mass Communication. I don’t know, I could be somewhere picking up evidence from a crime scene or I could be interviewing people.

Jessika Davidson is a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University majoring in Radio/TV communications with an emphasis in news writing and a public relations/photojournalism double minor. From Houston, TX, the humorous and vivacious campus socialite came to Nacogdoches to escape the hustle and bustle of Texas' big city. When she's not hard at work at the campus radio or TV station, she's often doing community service projects around town with her sorority sisters of Gamma Sigma Sigma, of which she is the chapter president of. She also enjoys working at her jobs, one as a Master Control Operator for the KTRE-9 TV station and one as the owner of Jessika Davidson Photography, where she travels the state with her beloved nikon, affectionately named "Gary", to shoot weddings. She is beyond excited to be a campus correspondent for SFA, and hopes to become a video journalist (news reporter) or a host of a entertainment show.