R.e.s.p.e.c.t.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

A full week has passed and, for some of you, dragged by depending on your living situation. Although you may not have issues now, here are a few tips to keep the relationship between you and your roommate respectful and drama free. 

Establish Rules…. You’re willing to follow 

Most dorms distribute roommate agreement forms. Although most students don’t take them seriously and some of the questions asked on the survey are a little… much… it is an important topic to discuss. Main subjects that should be discussed are: the time limits of having company, sharing items such as the television, refrigerator and other items you may have just “one of each” of. Though this may not be a problem now, establishing these rules may avoid one down the line.

Give Space

Let’s face it we all didn’t grow up under the same roof or have the same values or upbringings as the next person, so we have to be understanding and mature about some of the ways of our roommates. Giving that person space when tension is a little high is sometimes the perfect move for the both of you. Spending a couple hours in the library, lobby, or student center, could be the difference between a successful semester or miserable one.

Talk it out

It’s unhealthy in any relationship to let problems pile up, especially if the two parties share a living space. If there is something bothering you, an annoying habit of theirs or something that scratches the surface a little deeper, talk it out by having an honest conversation with one another. Don’t let the problems build up until they explode all at once.

These are just a few things to consider when sharing a space with others you may or may not be familiar with. Taking these steps could be the start of building a tolerable relationship throughout the semester. 

Kayla Borens is a senior from Stephen F Austin State University pursuing a degree in Public Communications. She has been selected as a recipient for the 2012 Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges and graduate of Kilgore Junior College. Kayla currently interns for pr firm CasMacPR, and teaches Zumba! She is also an active member in a Christian youth group, The TURNAROUND in East Texas, as well as a supporting sister of younger brother, Spencer and older sister, Selena. Her post-graduation plans include working in Texas pursuing a career in public relations and social media and making her parents proud. :) You can follow her via Twitter @PR_incess_KayB & @creativedream_.