Mid-Semester Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

We’re more than half way finished with the semester Lumberjacks! Though the end is near, we’re still having to “waddle through the mud” to get there. Below are tips to keep your mind focused to finish out the semester strong!

Exercise:

Exercise is known to improve your muscle strength and boosts your endurance. With this new-found endurance, you can use that energy to think clearer, faster and smarter! The SFA Rec Center starts an entire new schedule of Group X classes starting today, March 18! Workout early in the morning with AM Boot Camp Express, Morning Zumba and Cycling, or late in the evening with Dance Mania, Yoga, and Core & More! Click the link HERE to find out what class suits your schedule!

Prioritize

As Queen of Procrastination, I know all about waiting until the last minute to finish assignments. By prioritizing your work load, and completing task with the highest level of priority first, the stress of completing all your assignments at one time the night before will reduce greatly. Organize your work load by writing down your assignments in a calendar. A constant reminder of the due date will help keep the assignment on your brain.

Eliminate Distractions

Ok iPhone users, time to put that “Do Not Disturb” feature to work. Social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram are huge distractions when trying to concentrate on the task at hand. Set a time limit to dedicate strictly to studying. Designating 15 mins to studying without distractions, and 5 mins to social networking/texting will, SOMETIMES, help speed up the process of completing the task.

Set Goals

Many school events start at 7 p.m. during the week. It would be ideal to set a goal to finish at least a few, if not all, of your homework assignments before the event starts. Setting a goal time, and having something to look forward to when you’re finished with the work, really helps some people concentrate on completing their task.

Keep this quote in mind as you’re struggling for that mid-semester motivation:

The tassel’s worth the hassle!

Kayla Borens is a senior from Stephen F Austin State University pursuing a degree in Public Communications. She has been selected as a recipient for the 2012 Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges and graduate of Kilgore Junior College. Kayla currently interns for pr firm CasMacPR, and teaches Zumba! She is also an active member in a Christian youth group, The TURNAROUND in East Texas, as well as a supporting sister of younger brother, Spencer and older sister, Selena. Her post-graduation plans include working in Texas pursuing a career in public relations and social media and making her parents proud. :) You can follow her via Twitter @PR_incess_KayB & @creativedream_.