Jocelyn Stephens of Regal Urbano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Regal Urbano is a clothing company started by artist Jocelyn Stephens. Her Campus sat down with her and had a great conversation about how she manages her schedule and company, her motivation, and her goals for Regal Urbano.

Her Campus SFA: What is your company and its services?
Jocelyn: Regal Urbano. Custom graphic apparel based on Italian influence, art, and the city.

Her Campus SFA: When did you start Regal Urbano and why?
Jocelyn: May 2011. It began with a Wiz Khalifa drawing I made in my sketchbook and a good friend suggested I have it placed on a shirt. I’ve always enjoyed drawing celebrities and shirt apparel is a way to place my artwork on a live canvas.

Her Campus SFA: How hard is running a business and being in school?
Jocelyn: Im a community assistant, enrolled in 2 science courses (one located in Lufkin), in the process of applying for Dental Hygiene School  and in a 10 month relationship. IT’S DIFFICULT. I struggle with balancing and knowing when it is the right time to draw and design. I don’t like too much getting in the way of my school work. The key to business is definitely balance.

Her Campus SFA: Do you have a staff or employees?
Jocelyn: I am currently running everything on my own. My boyfriend and a group of friends press and pub sales, designs, etc. through Twitter and Facebook. I am very thankful for them because they genuinely just want to help and provide support.

Her Campus SFA: Whats your ultimate goal for your company? Where do you see it in 5 years?
Jocelyn: Regal Urbano isn’t about celebrities. The name means “Imperial City.” I would like my fascination with the city of Italia to show through my artwork. I would like to create my own designs and draw people through figments of my imagination. I would like younger audiences to keep the line thriving, for I will be in the depths of my dental career.

Her Campus SFA: What’s your motivation to keep going?
Jocelyn: A pencil and a sketchbook, great photographs, and the people around me. I have a tremendous amount of support from friends and loved ones, even who do not personally know me are interested to see what I am going to do next. I don’t know too many other women who have a similar art direction as I do, so I just keep trying to challenge myself to see what happens next.

Her Campus SFA: What advice would you give others interested in a clothing company?
Jocelyn: Plan out EVERYTHING. If it takes a year to do so, take it. If you have to start a few times and fail, keep trying. Surrounding yourself around people who want to see your vision thrive will also benefit you.

Jessika Davidson is a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University majoring in Radio/TV communications with an emphasis in news writing and a public relations/photojournalism double minor. From Houston, TX, the humorous and vivacious campus socialite came to Nacogdoches to escape the hustle and bustle of Texas' big city. When she's not hard at work at the campus radio or TV station, she's often doing community service projects around town with her sorority sisters of Gamma Sigma Sigma, of which she is the chapter president of. She also enjoys working at her jobs, one as a Master Control Operator for the KTRE-9 TV station and one as the owner of Jessika Davidson Photography, where she travels the state with her beloved nikon, affectionately named "Gary", to shoot weddings. She is beyond excited to be a campus correspondent for SFA, and hopes to become a video journalist (news reporter) or a host of a entertainment show.