How to Deal With the Roommate From Hell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Everyone has had a weird roommate or knows a friend who’s been victim to having one. If you’re not actually a crazy roommate yourself, the following story will really blow your mind. 

College is the place where you’re supposed to find yourself. You get to be a part of different organizations; go to different events, and while you can meet your spouse, you can also meet people who may become lifelong friends. While this is all cliché, keep in mind that while college has so many perks, there is an ugly side to it that people aren’t always so direct about. For example, you know those Instagram pictures of college roommates who are also best friends? Well, every college student is not that fortunate.

While I’m sure many people have told tales about roommates who are too loud, have bad hygiene or annoying relationship issues, have you ever heard of a roommate being completely insane? Let’s reflect to the 1992 film Single White Female or the 2009 remake, The Roommate. If I were in that movie, I would be Minka Kelly, and my roommate would be Leighton Meester. To make matters worse, I watched the movie the day before I moved onto campus.

During move-in day, there were private rooms available, and my mom suggested that I get a room to myself. Rather than listen to her, I decided I wanted to have a “real college experience” and live with a complete stranger. Maybe we could be friends. Maybe we could even be best friends. Now, looking back on that day as a junior writing from my private room, I should have listened to my mother. So here’s a free tip: Mothers know best. 

My roommate did not move in the same day as me; I spent the first night alone. During the afternoon of the second day by myself, the door opened slowly, and this girl with big hair walked in and stared at me. I introduced myself and she was so nice. She and I hit it off immediately because we had the same taste in music, fashion and movies. As time passed, though, red flags started to appear. 

She bought me dinner all the time, which I thought was so nice and generous of her. I’m uncomfortable accepting gifts from people but she always insisted. I got used to it until she started buying me clothes and telling me how good I looked every morning before I went to class. She was a girl who used words of affirmation as her love language, so I didn’t look too much into it; although, it made me uncomfortable sometimes. 

Fast forward to the middle of the semester: I met a group of girls who were so fun to hang around. I started hanging out with them after class and eventually began to spend the night at their dorm. It was when I got a new group of friends outside of my roommate that she flipped the switch. From there, things escalated quickly.

Here is some advice for my fellow students: If you have a “nice” roommate, who is so generous with sharing her things with you, that’s great! However, it is probably best to avoid using your roomate’s belongings. Make it a habit not to be indebted to anyone no matter how nice they seem or actually really are.

One morning after coming back from my friend’s dorm, I opened my dorm to her yelling, “Where have you been?” Standing there in bewilderment, I decided to take the calm route and brush her attitude off as no big deal. A few days later, she asked me if I wanted to go a party with her, but I declined her offer because I had a test to study for. She didn’t want to go without me, so she decided to go home.  

However, the night of the party I found out the test was postponed so I would get to go out. My other friends came and picked me up and we went together. The party was awesome until I posted pictures of it on Instagram. She called me screaming that I lied to her and said she couldn’t trust me. She drove back to campus in the middle of the night and told me that I wasn’t allowed to leave. I put on my “Beats” headphones and went for a run to clear my head because I could not deal with her negative energy. When I came back, she was asleep so I packed an overnight bag and left for my friend’s room. The following morning, I returned to my room to find my two hundred dollar headphones shattered. 

At this point, I lost it.

After a huge argument, to say the very least, I told her that I was going to move out. She turned into an emotional wreck and cried for hours until she fell asleep. The night before I moved out was the most uncomfortable sleep of my life. After tossing and turning in the middle of the night, I turned on my lamp to get a drink of water. I turned over to find her sitting up straight and staring right at me. 

Needless to say, as soon as the front desk opened I requested a room change. The RA told me I had 48 hours to move. I told her I could do it in three. 

As I finish this true story of my freshman year roommate experience, in my private room, I only have one tip: listen to your mothers.

Finding the best roommate that best suits you is just as vital as having the best professor, based on how you learn and how they teach. While you will never have a perfect roommate, you have to be with someone you can trust and function around. Your living environment is important, so do not take it for granted!

Hello, my name is Alayna Walker and I am a junior at Stephen F. Austin. I am a Radio/Tv Broadcasting major and I am minoring in psychology. My hobbies include reading, writing, working out and dancing.
Hi! My name is Andréa Tinoco. I am a senior at SFA, majoring in journalism and minoring in general business. My position at Her Campus SFA is the Campus Correspondent as well as Editor In Chief. My passions include writing, reading, running and yoga.