FroYo: The New “trend” At SFA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Some Lumberjacks may have heard of FroYo (also known as frozen yogurt), and until recently, there weren’t any spots in Nacogdoches that served the delicious and healthy treat. However, Chilly Fillmores and The Frozen G.O.A.T., two of Nacogdoches’ newest restaurant additions, opened in the last 6 months and serve a variety of flavors.

So what exactly is Frozen Yogurt? It is a blend of milk product, sweeteners and yogurt cultures. Many people who have a protein allergy or lactose intolerance, can enjoy frozen yogurt. The culturing process makes yogurt more digestible than milk based ice cream. Frozen yogurt, depending on what is used to sweeten it, and other ingredients can be much healthier than ice cream. However, this is not always true and many places have yogurt flavors labeled, “sugar free” or “low calorie”. 

Chilly Fillmore’s was the FroYo pioneer in Nacogdoches. Chilly Fillmores opened at the start of the summer, right across from campus on North Street, and has been packed every since. The have a heated outside seating area, which is a favorite among customers. They offer several flavors with swirl options, and so many toppings, from cinnamon toast crunch cereal to bacon bits! They also have seasonal flavors in rotation at this time of year. They also have a rewards card for frequent visitors. 

The Frozen G.O.A.T, (Greatest of all tastes) just opened a little over a month ago on North Street, next to Bullritos. They offer several flavors of frozen yogurt and  sorbet, with swirl options as well. They also have several toppings. The Frozen Goat has healthy FroYo options as well. The Frozen G.O.A.T. even has a texting service that sends you major discounts when you join!

Both establishments change yogurt flavors 2-4 times a month, so there is almost always something new to try. Our staff recommends these flavors:

Chilly Fillmores                                                                The Frozen G.O.A.T
Blackberry tart                                                                      Mango Sorbet
Apple pie                                                                                Island Banana
Cake Batter                                                                             Pumpkin Pie

Both Chilly Fillmore’s and The Frozen G.O.A.T. cost $.42 an ounce, so stop by and pick up an affordable and healthy alternative to ice cream!

Jessika Davidson is a senior at Stephen F. Austin State University majoring in Radio/TV communications with an emphasis in news writing and a public relations/photojournalism double minor. From Houston, TX, the humorous and vivacious campus socialite came to Nacogdoches to escape the hustle and bustle of Texas' big city. When she's not hard at work at the campus radio or TV station, she's often doing community service projects around town with her sorority sisters of Gamma Sigma Sigma, of which she is the chapter president of. She also enjoys working at her jobs, one as a Master Control Operator for the KTRE-9 TV station and one as the owner of Jessika Davidson Photography, where she travels the state with her beloved nikon, affectionately named "Gary", to shoot weddings. She is beyond excited to be a campus correspondent for SFA, and hopes to become a video journalist (news reporter) or a host of a entertainment show.