Editor’s Last Goodbye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Oh! Where to begin?

This year long journey as being Editor of HerCampusSFA has been a positive experience all around. The people met and the networks created have been more than what I expected to gain.

I want to extend a special thank you to Jessika Davidson for offering the position to take over the SFA branch in May 2012. Jessika laid out a great platform for me to jump in and expand, and I am grateful for that.

There were a few organizations that went out of their way to make this chapter a success. Thank you to: SFA Betas, SFA Gammas, DJ Teddi Org, Presidential Hustle Entertainment, SFA Fashion N Motion, Raisin Canes – Nacogdoches, Chick Fil A – Nacogdoches, Country Princess Couture, and Party ‘N Things.

I would also like to thank everyone that participated in the Campus Celebrity and Cutie portion of the online magazine. From everyone who nominated someone to those that willingly gave their information to be featured, thank you!

Sitting down and interacting with various, ambitious SFA students during the Campus Celebrity interviews would have to be my favorite part of the HerCampus experience. Interviews for the “Story Behind the Music” article with secular rap artist/producer, Derian Salone, and Christ advocate, Corey Garrett, as well as, the “Pink London” article with Gabriella Wesley, were interviews and stories I fairly enjoyed writing. The positive energy and excitement given off from these individuals simply by giving them the chance to share their passion was enlightening.

I am also excited to see what the future holds for Campus Celebrities, Bianca Rodriguez: “Solitude,” Jacori Harper: “Tell the DJ Turn It Up,” Jamiee Banks: “SmirkTime,” and Presidential Hustle Entertainment: “The Story Behind the Seal.” These celebrities have great potential in their individual skills and future pursuits and I wish nothing but the best for them!

HerCampus SFA grew tremendously throughout the year gaining over 900 followers on Twitter, 100 “likes” on Facebook and creating social media accounts: Instagram and Pinterest with over 100 followers.

The purpose of the HerCampus™ organization is to provide an online hub for women by providing content that is both a resource and a source of entertainment, highlighting campus news, events, interesting students, faculty, alumni, campus photos, and fashion and lifestyle content specifically tailored for women.

Since January, I’ve been looking for someone to take over the task of editor and build the staff to create a solid team for the next year. Unfortunately, I was not successful in this task, and it’s possible that this is the last year that the SFA branch will be functional.

Membership is open to all students. This organization complies with all State and Federal laws and school policies on non-discrimination. This organization supports and encourages respect for political, religious, ethnic, racial, physical, generational, sexual, and intellectual differences because such respect promotes free and open inquiry, independent thought, and mutual understanding.

If anyone is interested in taking on this project please email me at kayb_09@yahoo.com.

Thanks for the memories SFA! It’s been “real!’

Kayla Borens is a senior from Stephen F Austin State University pursuing a degree in Public Communications. She has been selected as a recipient for the 2012 Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges and graduate of Kilgore Junior College. Kayla currently interns for pr firm CasMacPR, and teaches Zumba! She is also an active member in a Christian youth group, The TURNAROUND in East Texas, as well as a supporting sister of younger brother, Spencer and older sister, Selena. Her post-graduation plans include working in Texas pursuing a career in public relations and social media and making her parents proud. :) You can follow her via Twitter @PR_incess_KayB & @creativedream_.