Cool Weather Facts You Had No Idea You Wanted to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

In my youth, I was always fascinated by the weather, and just how powerful these conditions can be. I’m still fascinated today. Because of my general love for the weather and the cool things I know about it, I wanted to share this interesting knowledge with others. Without further or do, here is a whole list of cool weather facts you had no idea you wanted to know: 

1. About 2,000 thunderstorms rain down on Earth every minute. This is super cool considering that fact that here at SFA it rains till it pours. So, now we know why it rains so much. (source: NationalGeographicKids)

[Photography by: Ashlyn Eustace]

2.  Some tornadoes can be faster than formula one racing cars! Which means that if you are ever in a face-off between you in a formula one race car and a tornado, just know that you might not win, and need to get to a safe shelter immediately. (source: NationalGeographicKids)  

3. In 525 BC a sandstorm buried hundreds of soldiers in an Egyptian desert. I really don’t have any information about this one. I just thought this was cool and wanted to include it. How awesome is it that a sandstorm wiped out a whole fleet of soldiers, like??? (source: NationalGeographicKids)  

4. Usually, after it rains, there is a distinctive, refreshing smell that lingers in the air for a while. Why is that, you may ask? Well, according to funfactz.com, this phenomenon is caused by “is from the volatile oils that plants and trees produce” amongst many more reasons.

5. “Monster” waves at over 100 ft. tall can suddenly appear at sea when there is no storm to cause them. This is really cool. Just random waves coming out of nowhere with no storm in sight. Now that’s a weird weather phenomenon. (source: stormwatcherkennel)  

6. In 1967, a hurricane unleashed 115 tornadoes over Texas. This fact right here blew me out of the water, I even had no idea this happened. According to dps.texas.gov, “…in 1967, the same year Hurricane Beulah made landfall. The storm spawned 115 tornadoes in a five-day period.”

[Photography by: Ashyln Eustace]

7. 9 out of 10 lightning strike victims survive. This is just luck that more people aren’t killed from lightning. However, if you somehow by chance get struck by lightning then, you have a pretty good chance of surviving. (source: stormwatcherkennel)

8. Waterspouts, or rotating columns of air over water, can make sea creatures rain down from the sky. (source: National Geogrpahic Kids) Despite how particularly weird this sound, this is actually true! No, it’s not a Sharknado (that can’t physically happen, people) but small creatures like fish can get caught by a waterspout’s current and flourished into the sky at a moment’s notice. Instead of raining men, it would be raining fish.

9. Raindrops can be the size of a housefly and fall at more than 30kmph. (source: National Geographic Kids) This is just cool. Who knew that rain was that small and traveled at a moderate speed?

10. Some frogs get noisier just before it rains (source: National Geographic Kids) I think this is a cool fact just because you have to envision some tiny frogs just croaking before the rain is coming. It’s like they’re yelling at you that you should put on some rain boots and bring an umbrella.

Now that you have a florid of weather knowledge, you can go out into the world and tell your friends all about it. I hope this expanded your knowledge on weather and made you want to know more. There are some really cool things out there to look up. 

Bri Bell was a writer for SFASU Her Campus. She graduated with a Bachelor's in Art cica 2019! She is an artistic woman with a passion for FIlm/Cinematogrpahy, as well as writing. Bri Bell tends to write about things she is passionate about whether that be about music, literature, politics, or even random anime recommendations. She is fairly easy going about what she writes, and attempts to stray away from any topics that could have any/all triggers.
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.