Unclaimed Baggage is a Gift from the Gods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Ever heard of Unclaimed Baggage? It’s that place where all lost luggage never to be reunited with its owner winds up, with its contents all up for sale. It’s basically like a thrift store, except the owners of said items never chose to give them up, so a lot of it is pretty nice stuff. Anyway, my friend and I decided to see what all the fuss was about so we made our way down to Middle-of-Nowhere Alabama to experience it for ourselves.

First off, the place was jam-packed. Not only with people, but also with stuff. Navigating that place with a cart seemed almost impossible, but somehow we managed. You know that scene from Elf where they’re Christmas shopping and all of the stores are so busy and it’s just super chaotic? Well that’s pretty much what this was like. Not to mention, it’s the holiday season so everyone has even more reason to be out and about buying stuff.

Second, the place was huge. There’s more than one building to the store, although we confined our visit to the main building because it was just that huge. As we slowly made our way through the store our cart became filled to the brim with various articles of clothing. But don’t let that fool you! This place also sells books, sporting equipment, makeup, electronics, and all kinds of random things!

Eventually, we finally got ourselves to the dressing rooms to try on our haul. As always, there were things we loved, things we hated, and things we were on the fence about. However, it’s a lot easier to justify purchasing something when it only costs five dollars.

By the end of our shopping spree, we came away with quite a few new additions to our wardrobe and overall, I’d have to say it was a good experience.

Side note: On our way out of the store, we noticed a display of Hoggle, a puppet used in the film Labyrinth featuring David Bowie.

I have no idea how they managed to get their hands on this, but it’s pretty cool to check out, especially if you’re a super huge fan of the movie (like me). Jim Henson (aka the guy that did the Muppets and was Kermit the Frog) was the puppeteer for this film, so it’s safe to say that this is pretty awesome. How someone managed to lose a giant Hoggle puppet during their flight and not track it down will remain a mystery to me.

Happy Shopping!