Starting off the Term with Sewanee Terms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

This is for all the freshmen who are FREAKING OUT. As a freshman, there were lots of abbreviations and nicknames that I had to learn. When I received an email from some random student who called himself an “AP” or people told me we were meeting at the “Sweaty J,” I was hopelessly confused. And I’m embarrassed to say how long it took me to find out what the ATC is, not to mention how long it took me to figure out how to get there. So I’ve made a list of some of the common nicknames and abbreviations you’ll hear around Sewanee. This list is in no way comprehensive, but it’s a good start.

1. AP

Assistant Proctors: the people you want on your good side. They help you through orientation and can help with any problem you have from classes to roommates. They are typically sophomores and they want to help you navigate your freshman year. They are also responsible for your safety and enforcing dorm policies. A proctor or AP will be on duty every night. They want to keep you safe, so respect that.

2. BC

Bishop’s Common. It houses the SPO, the Pub, and all sorts of offices. Some of the offices include residential life, SOP, Outreach, Dean of Greek Life (Hagi Bradley) and the Associate Dean of Students (Alexander Bruce aka Dean Bruce). You don’t want to be called into Dean Bruce’s office. That probably means you’re in trouble. The BC also has tvs and a pool table that is open to all students.

3. SPO

Student Post Office. It’s in the lower level of the BC. Not to be confused with the Sewanee Post Office. You’ll have a PO Box there and you pick up your packages from their front window.

4. SOP

Sewanee Outing Program. Basically everything outdoorsy. They are responsible for putting on PRE that many freshmen participate in. You can sign up for trips with them over breaks, the weekends, or just for the day. They also have students who can teach you. You can also rent equipment from them FOR FREE.

5. The Pub

Tiger Bay Pub. LOVE THIS PLACE. Open 5 PM to 2 AM most days. Serves burgers, breakfast and many other amazing options. You’ll probably see me there at least twice a week. Get to know the workers. They’re great. Also, your pub experience will be much better if you’re on Jim’s and Margaret’s good side.

6. Clurg

McClurg Dining Hall. Clearly pronouncing the “Mc” part of McClurg is too much effort so we had to shorten it to Clurg.

7. New Globe/El Globo

The Globe. Another on campus food option that used to serve sandwiches and pizzas. They switched over to mexican food at some point. Now they have an interesting hodge podge of food. I miss Old Globe, but I can’t complain. Also, if you don’t wake up for the fresh fruit in the morning at Clurg, they always have little to go containers of fruit and other snacks.

8. ATC

Academic Technology Center. Hint: It’s in the basement of the library and that door to the left of the library’s entrance only works after hours. The ATC is open 24/7 and is filled with computers with a mix of Macs and PCs. You can print down there or upstairs. Some people like to study down there. It also has the writing center that is a great resource. Your English 101 professors will most likely require you to go or give you a better grade for going.

9. SUT

Sewanee Union Theatre. You’ll receive emails telling you what movies they are showing each week. Many students enjoy relaxing and going to watch a movie there, but I’d be lying if I said I’d ever been.

10. Dorms

Many dorms have affectionate nicknames given by the students. A few examples are Bene (Benedict Hall), Gorgasm (Gorgas Hall), the Hump (Humphreys Hall), Sweaty J (Johnson Hall), and Trez (Trezevant Hall).

11. The Wick/WC

Bairnwick Women’s Center. Many great women live here. It is meant as a safe place for women. They also have their own events and other organizations use their event room as well.

12. Fraternities

Alpha Tau Omega – ATO, ATBro

Beta Theta Pi – Beta

Chi Psi – Chi Psi (pronounced kai sai)

Delta Kappa Epsilon – DKE (pronounced Deke)

Delta Tau Delta – Delt

Phi Gamma Delta – Fiji, Phi Gam

Gamma Sigma Phi – Gamma

Lambda Chi Alpha – Lambda Chi

Kappa Alpha Order – KA

Phi Society of 1883 – Phi

Sigma Alpha Epsilon – SAE

Sigma Nu – Sigma Nu, SNu

13. Sororities

Alpha Delta Theta – ADT

Alpha Tau Zeta – ATZ

Gamma Tau Upsilon – GTU

Kappa Delta – KD

Kappa Omega – KO

Phi Kappa Epsilon – PKE

Phi Sigma Theta – PST

Theta Kappa Phi – TKP, tea cups

Theta Pi – Theta Pi, TP

14. SAS

St. Andrew’s – Sewanee. The boarding school that you pass on the way to the university.

15. The Pig

Piggly Wiggly. The local grocery story in Monteagle. If you are from the south, you’ve probably heard of them before. It never occurred to me that people wouldn’t know this one.

16. The Assembly

Monteagle Sunday School Assembly. A collection of houses that a number of Sewanee parents rent for parent’s weekend. During the week of Parent’s weekend, the campus feels dead because a bulk of the students are at the Assembly.

17. EQB

Ecce Quam Bonum. Sewanee’s motto. You can see it on the seal. It is a Latin shortening of a phrase that means “Behold How Good and Joyful It ls for Brethren to Dwell Together in Unity.” I’m sure most people who have visited Sewanee have heard this one before, especially if you had me as your tour guide.

18. YSR

Yea, Sewanee’s Right! You’ll hear this throughout campus at all different times. I’m sure you’ve seen the bumper stickers. It comes from the last line of a Sewanee Cheer:

Tigers! Tigers!

Leave them in the lurch.

Down with the heathen,

up with the church.

Yea, Sewanee’s Right.

The heathens being our rival schools..

Now you just have to find all of these places! Don’t worry. We love freshman and LOVE when freshman ask us questions.

UPDATE (8/12/15): The Globe sadly no longer exist, but hey now the Pub is open for lunch!

Sarah Christie, C'16, is a biochemistry major and French minor at Sewanee. When she graduates, she wants to go to vet school. She loves dancing like nobody is watching, meeting new people, eating Pub food, riding horses, and writing for Her Campus.