Spring Cleaning Your Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

There are so many wonderful things about studying abroad, but it isn’t all exploring cities and trying new foods.  Which part did I expect to be the worst? Needing to pack an entire wardrobe for six months into one suitcase and a carry-on. This idea seriously terrified me. I don’t think I’ve had anything resembling a “minimal” wardrobe since I was in infancy. As with impossible thing, it turned out to be much easier than I expected.  Plus, I gained an appreciation for living a little smaller, and when I get home I plan on decreasing my clothes hoard by a lot.  Here are some tips and tricks to try if you want to do the same!

• Stop buying things

It seems like a no-brainer, but until you’ve taken stock of your closet, don’t buy something new, even if it’s really cute.After you clean out your stuff, you may find that you need a new jacket or skirt to replace one you’ve just gotten rid of.It’s best to save your money to spend on something you need, rather than an impulse purchase.

• Count Everything

Really think about how many sundresses/sweaters/pairs of jeans you need.The answer is probably “less than you currently have” so don’t be afraid to shed some things.Grab a friend you trust and get an honest opinion about what should stay and what should go.

• Make Smart Choices

As much as you might LOVE that rainbow sparkle skirt you wore to a New Years Eve party three years ago, chances are you haven’t worn it much since then.Items that are simpler and match your other staple pieces are probably a better choice to keep than something trendy but hard to wear.Keep in mind your lifestyle and what you typically wear.I know that I want to be the sort of girl who wears hats, but I never do in reality, so I should give them up.

• Be Yourself!

That totally doesn’t mean that you should have a wardrobe filled with nothing but black, navy, and other easy to match neutrals, especially if you won’t wear them.Having a smaller wardrobe is about focusing on what you use a lot.If you use your neon pink t-shirts more than you would use a black one, don’t go buy a bunch of black shirts.Be yourself and make sure everything you keep in your closet reflects who you are in the best possible way.

• Plan Where Your Stuff Will Go

There are so many options for what to do with unwanted clothes! You can donate them to goodwill or any other charitable organization, you can sell them, or you could give them to deserving besties.At the end of the day, it’s your stuff, so you should choose the best place for it.

I hope this helped a little bit with your spring-cleaning! Getting ready is a lot easier when you have fewer options, plus your tiny dorm closet will have room for the next perfect piece you know it needs!

SaveSave

Carley Roe

Sewanee '18

Carley is currently a senior.  She is a psych major with an education minor, because she really likes kids and talking about her feelings.  Carley is from Columbus, Ohio and relocated to the south for the "better weather".  She loves dogs, horses, nail polish, dresses, and bows. In her free time she enjoys texting her mom, horseback riding, reading, and netflix.  Her dislikes include jogging, being cold, and eels.  Learn more about her here!