7 Reasons To Love Sewanee in the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Hooray! September is finally here, and you know what that means: fall is just around the corner! Fall is my favorite time of year, and Sewanee is one of my favorite places to be during the fall. Why? Allow me to explain.

1. Fall colors

​

It’s no secret that Sewanee is already one of the most beautiful places in the world, but Sewanee in the fall is absolutely breathtaking. I mean, seriously. Have you been to the Cross after all the leaves have changed? Looking out over the valley on a sunny, autumn day and admiring all of the yellow, red, and orange is one of my favorite things to do. It fills me with a sense of awe and wonder at the beauty of the natural world, and, as an added bonus, it provides the perfect backdrop for an outdoor study session.

2. Sewanee fog (in moderation)

There’s no doubt about it: the infamous “Sewanee fog” can be annoying at times, but on a cool autumn morning, it can also be downright magical. People often compare Sewanee to a real-life Hogwarts, and when I see the way the fog cloaks All Saints’ Chapel on my way to class, I can almost believe it. The fog creates a mysterious atmosphere that doesn’t exist in many other places, and it’s one of the things that makes Sewanee beautiful and unique.

3. Sweater weather

Sure, shorts and crop tops are fun in the summer, but if you ask me, clothes meant for colder weather are much more comfortable and way cuter! I can’t get enough of sweaters, scarves, hats, jeans, and boots, and thankfully, the fall weather at Sewanee is great for all of those things. The best part? It’s just cold enough to feel refreshing, not miserable—the ideal weather for snuggling up in your favorite sweater.

4. Fall drinks at Stirling’s

Now, it’s no secret that I love me some Stirling’s coffee. In fact, most of my friends would probably agree that I spend way too much time (and money) in that charming, yellow house off of Georgia Avenue. Unfortunately for my wallet, Stiriling’s serves several drinks that—while great at any time of the year—are absolutely perfect in the fall. Sipping on a mug of hot apple cider or a Pumpkin Spice latte is one of my favorite ways to relax after class, and in the fall, it’s the perfect way to warm up.

5. Fall Break

Um, does this even require an explanation? It’s always nice to have a break from classes, even if it’s just for four days. Fall break is a great time to rest and relax, whether that means visiting your family, hanging out with your friends, or even just catching up on a little well-deserved sleep. It’s the perfect time to recharge your batteries, so to speak, and prepare yourself to work hard when school starts again.

6. Parents’ Weekend

Thankfully, my parents live close enough to Sewanee that they can visit for Parents’ Weekend, and I love getting to share my school with them. Parents’ Weekend is a great opportunity to introduce your parents to your professors, your friends, and just generally reassure them that you’re not completely wasting your time here at college. Plus, if you live a little farther away and don’t get to see your family very often, Parents’ Week is your chance to reconnect with your parents and siblings, which is always welcome if you’re feeling a teensy bit homesick.

7. Halloween

Yes, I am one of those people who takes Halloween way too seriously, but thankfully, Sewanee is more than willing to indulge my Halloween obsession. Whether it’s eating dinner at McClurg while it’s “dressed up” as Hogwarts’s Great Hall or jamming out to “Dance Macabre” during the Sewanee Symphony Orchestra’s annual Halloween concert, Sewanee has something to feed every Halloween nut’s spooky side—easily making Halloween one of the highlights of fall at Sewanee.

Emily Daniel loves writing, which is a good thing because as an English major, she does a lot of it. She also loves Disney movies, musicals, Spider-Man, chai lattes, and writing about herself in the third person.