Lava-what?!…Lavaliere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Admit it, Greek organizations have some pretty strange traditions. Some of them you will never understand or even know about unless you are a part of the organization.  However, there is one certain tradition that, while it is unique, is present on Sewanee’s campus.  If you have ever seen someone freak out over a necklace with Greek letters on it, it may not have made sense at the time, but hopefully this article will help answer any questions you may have had.

Urban Dictionary defines “lavaliere” as the following:

“a necklace bearing a fraternity’s or sorority’s letters. An accepted gift of a lavaliere, called lavaliering, indicates a romantic commitment that may develop into a long term engagement, and marriage.”

While Urban Dictionary says that it is the dream of every sorority girl, some people feel differently about this piece of jewelry.  Just as some people feel differently about promise rings, a lavaliere basically symbolizes the same thing: an intention to be with someone long-term. Some fraternity guys choose to lavaliere their girlfriend to show that he is serious about her and wants to have a future with her.  

But lavaliering finds its roots in something very different than Greek life. The term “lavaliere” comes from a historical figure named Duchess Louise de La Vallière. She was the mistress of Louis XIV of France from 1661-1667. She was originally intended to be a diversion from the strange flirtation between King Louis and his sister-in-law.  The early lavaliere type of necklace, which was derived from her name, consisted of some kind of a pendant (sometimes a stone) hanging from a necklace. Louise de La Vallière was the one who popularized this style of necklace.  While she did mean something to Louis at the time, this relationship did not last.  In reality, she was only his mistress instead of his queen. 

While some people may think that the lavaliere does not mean much given its historical origin of a mistress wearing one (hence not a real commitment), the Greek community has taken it to contain much more value.  Just as how Greek life is not for everyone, lavaliering might not be for every couple. However, this can be very special for the couples who do participate in the tradition. Just as it is a big step for the guy to buy the necklace and give it to the girl, the girl must also accept it, making this an important moment for both people in the relationship. 

Some couples still take part in the tradition even if the girl’s boyfriend is not in the fraternity. This may not be the case so much outside of Sewanee as it is here.  However, some girls, whose boyfriends do not have letters, give their girlfriends a necklace with the girl’s letters. This way, it still symbolizes the boyfriend’s commitment. 

Whether you think it’s necessary or not, you have to admit that some Greek traditions are pretty cool! 

Madi is a Senior from Asheville, North Carolina. She has written for the Sewanee chapter of Her Campus since it was founded her Freshman year, and hopes to continue writing after graduation either as a journalist or through work in Public Relations. She loves laughing and hearing people's life stories!