How to Survive the End of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

We’ve officially done it! The end of the semester is just a month away! I don’t think the words “so close and yet so far” have ever been more appropriate. Of course, we’re not quite out of the woods yet. Here are a few tips on how to stay sane during the final weeks of the semester.

• Take care of your body. 

I know it’s tempting to stay up late, skip meals, and slack off on your exercise routine during the final weeks of the semester, but keeping your body healthy and happy is actually crucial to staying sane during this stressful time. Try to stick to a consistent sleep schedule, shower regularly, eat some fresh fruits and vegetables every day, drink plenty of water, and make time to go for a little walk outside—even if you don’t really feel like it. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did. 

• Show up to class. 

No, you don’t have to show up in class dress and wearing a full face of makeup, but you do need to show up. I know going to class is the last thing a lot of us feel like doing at this point in the semester, but getting behind on schoolwork is just going to stress you out in the end. Besides, you’ll be surprised how much you can pick up just by listening in class!

• Do a little bit of work each day. ​

The last weeks of the semester tend to be dominated by a lot of big projects, and the easiest way to knock them out with minimal stress is to just do a little bit everyday. Instead of trying to read an entire novel over a weekend or finish a seven-page essay in one night, try to read fifty pages or write one page per day over a whole week. You can accomplish a lot just by working at a task consistenly.

• Minimize distractions while working.

• This means: PUT. THE. PHONE. DOWN. I’m probably the last person on the planet to be suggesting this, considering that I’m the reigning queen of procrastination, but that’s why you all need to learn from my mistakes! If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that there’s no such thing as multitasking. So basically, if you try to watch Netflix and write an essay at the same time, the odds are that you’re going to end up watching a lot of Netflix without finishing much of your essay. Try devoting a solid fifty minute period to nothing but work, then give yourself a short study break.

• Take time for your friends and hobbies.​

Yes, getting your work done is important, but it’s also important to take time to relax so that you don’t go totally crazy. The worst thing you can probably do in the final weeks of the semester is go into total recluse mode and spend all of your time in your room. Hanging out with friends is scientifically proven to do wonders your mental health, don’t feel bad about having a girl’s night out every now and then!

SaveSave

Emily Daniel loves writing, which is a good thing because as an English major, she does a lot of it. She also loves Disney movies, musicals, Spider-Man, chai lattes, and writing about herself in the third person.