How to Pick your Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Picking your classes is one of the most difficult things to do in college. There is significantly more freedom in choosing than you had in high school. Because of this, you have to be aware of so many things, and it can get overwhelming looking at all the different options. Here are some tips to keep in mind so you know that you’re picking the best and most useful schedule you can.

1. Be aware of your Major’s requirements. ​​​​​​​

This is so important. Knowing what classes you’re required to take for your Major and how many you have to have taken in order to graduate should be forefront in your mind when looking at all the classes available. While it is fun to take random classes that simply entertain your interests, you have to make sure that you’re not filling your entire schedule with these.

2. Go outside of your comfort zone.

I know in the last tip I said to take classes that correspond with your Major, but you don’t have to stick to that all the time. Graduating on time and completing your Major is important, but taking new and interesting classes is too. You never know if you’ll discover a new passion and maybe even a new Major or Minor.

3. Know what times you’re comfortable with.

If you’re someone who hates mornings and will literally never wake up early, maybe you shouldn’t take an 8 am. Even if the class seems interesting, if you’re going to either sleep through it every day or be half asleep whenever you do make it, you’re not going to get anything from it.

4. Have a plan.

Here at Sewanee, registration spans over four days with everyone signing up for only one class a day. This means you need to know which classes you’re going to sign up for first. If a class has limited spots and is only available once in a blue moon, you should sign up for that one first. If a class has a lot of spots or even multiple class times available, sign up for that one later. Unless it’s super popular, it probably won’t fill up.

5. Choose a couple backup classes.

The likelihood of getting every single class you want to take is slim to none. Make sure you have a list of classes to sign up for in case your first choices fill up before you get to them. You don’t want to get to your registration time, realize none of your classes are still available, and have to sprint to find new classes before they fill up as well.

Good luck, Everyone! 

SaveSave