Feelin’ Flawless: 8 Styles to Make You Love Yourself More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

Ladies, it’s Valentine’s Day again, and we’re asking you to forget all the flowers, the needless worries of primping, and even the notion of Galentines day to love the most important person in your life: yourself!

Sometime it can be hard to let go and love yourself. You look in the mirror, and, opposed to seeing how awesome you are, you notice that miniscule pimple or those stray eyebrow hairs. We’re innondated with images of unrealistic perfection and often feel lower self-esteem when we cannot achieve them.  Fashion, style and make-up can be a double-edged sword, but there’s hope, ladies: there has to be something unique to you or some style that empowers you or brings you to say, “Hey, I’m sexy and beautiful.”

1. Lipstick 

Maybe it’s channeling your inner Marilyn… 

Or it makes you feel fierce like Beyonce. Either way, sporting lipstick always makes me feel like I could kick some ass. 

2.  Sexy Underwear Whether it’s for your partner or just for you– either way you’ll be feeling sexier. Bonus self love points for the matching bra. Madison Cornwell C’16 says, “…Cute underwear is so empowering! It makes you feel like you can conquer the world.”

3.Your Favorite Pair of Jeans Maybe they’re soft and comfy, or make your butt look awesome, or they’re the perfect length– whatever they do for you, keep on rockin’ ’em. 

Werk it.

4. Wearing Black It’s slimming. It’s classic. It’s sexy. How could you go wrong? Lucy Hebb C’14 says, “When i wear all black i feel like Lara Croft Tomb Raider.” 

5. Cowboy Boots Southern and classic. Cowboys look awesome with jeans and dresses. Molly Rogers C’14, when asked what style item empowered her, said, “Cowboy boots! Legs look great. I can dance, and they’re cute!”

Case and point. If Reese Witherspoon wears them, I wear them. 

6. Comfy and Cozy Clothes Sometimes, the most empowering thing is when you think, “you know what, I want to be comfy, and I just don’t care.” Kathleen Kelso C’17 especially likes to rock comfy sweatshirts, she says, “They make me feel cozy and like I own what im doing!” 

7. Heels As long as you’re not doing the baby giraffe walk, heels can be incredibly sexy… Rock some wedges for all of the empowerment and less of the pain! 

“Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world.” -Marilyn Monroe

8. Yoga Pants No explanation needed. 

Whether some of these or none of these styles empower you, we encourage you to figure out what makes you feel best! Whether it’s eyeliner and lipstick or no make-up at all, rock whatever makes you feel beautiful. You do you and own it!  Ladies, we flawless

Alli Smith is a sophomore from Charlotte, NC. She's majoring in English, with minors in Education and Women's and Gender Studies. She's an avid procrastinator who loves anything on TLC. She's particularly interested in female empowerment and positive sexuality.