Campus Cutie: Will Salzer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

This week’s Campus Cutie is the fabulous Will Salzer. As a senior at Sewnaee, he is extremely well-known on campus for his sense of humor and undeniable wit and charm. Your time at Sewanee just isn’t complete without at least one conversation with this all-around great guy. Everyone knows his name and has great stories to tell about him, so here’s some things he has to say abut himself!

Class Year: 2017

Nicknames: Salz, Salt Daddy, Big Pookie

Birthday: May 16, 1994

Hometown: Tampa, Florida

Fraternity: KA

Majors: Religion and Medieval Studies

Relationship status: Single and ready to tingle

Spirit animal: Koala

Signature Pub Order: Granger and strips, 9 times out of 10

Go-to Clurg Line: Home line, I will follow Chef Rick into the recesses of Hell if he wanted me to.

Signature Dance Move: I’m great at cooking (re: Lil B “The BasedGod”)

Biggest Pet Peeve? When my lip gloss be poppin, but none of the boys at school are jockin’ or chase me out of school.

What is the best class you’ve ever taken at Sewanee? Religion and Ecology with Smith in the last semester before his retirement. Every class was a reverent moment.

What extracurricular activities are you a part of? I used to be a night DJ for WUTS, but senior year got in the way of that….

You’re pretty infamous for creating your own medieval studies major. Can you explain how you did that, why you wanted to, and what the process was like? Actually, that’s sort of an urban legend that I created my own major. The Medieval Studies major has long been a part of Sewanee, and though it may not be the most “popular” academic discipline, it is still one of the most rigorous and interesting, in my entirely unbiased opinion.

What is the most embarrassing song on your Spotify? I have a pretty unsettling amount of Jamiroquai…”Canned Heat” is a guilty pleasure that I take no pride in, but I mean, the boogie is just so real.

Where is your favorite spot at Sewanee? Amongst the nooks and crannies in Abbo’s Alley

Where can you be found on a typical Friday night? Somewhere outside, or in my humble abode, the Cave.

What is your favorite memory from Sewanee so far? Most embarrassing? I’ve been fortunate enough, as a double major, to be able to take a lot of labs in an effort to get in touch with the world outside of books. I’ve been on some great lab outings, but perhaps the most humbling was going to Orme, TN for Freshwater Conservation lab with Dr. Cecala. Most embarrassing moment? Would more than likely be Sewanee idol freshman year performing a song from Pitch Perfect. I took my shirt off and flung it into the audience. It was regrettable.

What advice would you give to someone coming to Sewanee? Don’t be afraid to follow your passions, and don’t take classes that you think will be beneficial for a job or career, but take classes that genuinely engage your intellect. Hang out with everyone and don’t be a stranger. “Blow up your television” – John Prine.