This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Sewanee chapter.

I went cruelty free and vegan with my makeup a long time ago. I’m so glad I did it, but I won’t lie and say it was easy. I had to abandon products that I loved and find new ones that were just as great. It was difficult. But I made it work and now I love so many of the products I have found in amazing cruelty free brands. To inspire some action and help make your journey down cruelty free a little bit easier, here are my favorite brands.

Tarte- This one is pricier, but they have amazing cruelty free products and a lot of them are vegan too. I love their foundation and contour pallette.

ELF- Extremely cheap, mascaras from this brand go for $3 at any CVS or Target.

Colourpop Cosmetics- This brand only recently became available at Sephora stores (before then it was only available online) and it’s also insanely cheap. The prices range from $3-8 and I’m in love with their super shock shadows. They also have amazing matte liquid lipsticks, which is obvious because their factory also produces Kylie Jenner’s products.

Urban Decay- If you like bolder and more dramatic makeup, this is the brand for you. They have amazing concealer and foundation. I’m especially in love with their Naked Pallettes and Vice Lipsticks (my go to shade is Sheer Liar).

Kat Von D- Another pricey brand, her products are amazing. Everything from her foundation to eyeliner to lipstick is to die for.

Sonia Kashuk- This is on the cheaper side, available at Target, and has great knock off products. I love the brush cleaning spray from this brand.