Summer to Fall Fashion Trends: Transforming Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

The air is finally beginning to crisp up, but you’re still wearing a crop top and high-waisted denim shorts with flip flops.  Normally we’d be all for this look, but shivering isn’t the chicest look on cool, autumn nights.   You’re probably thinking, “so how can I still rock denim shorts in the fall?” or “I don’t want to put my floral sundress away in closet storage.”  We get it and we’re here to show you how to take your favorite pieces from the summer and transition them into cute, obsessed-worthy outfits.

This season’s biggest timeless trend is layering, which is why it is so easy to use pieces from the summer in the fall.  Some of our favorite summer trends are listed below and we’ll give you some tips on how to make them your own personalized looks!

1.     Denim Shorts

The “mom” short is our absolute favorite.  It’s an American classic.  Normally paired with flowy crop tops or a knitted crochet halter for summer, you can easily take your flower child summer boho look and make it into a city chic combination.  Take your beach-worn in denim shorts and pair them with thigh high socks.  The socks will elongate your legs and will still keep you warm for those cooler nights.  Pair the look with some cool girl moto boots and an oversized sweater or a flannel with a beanie, and you’re ready to brave that chilly 9 a.m. walk from Boland to Fahy with confidence (and warmth).

2.     Floral Sundress

Florals are more prominent in the spring and summer, but can be worn year round, which makes this item one of the easiest to transform.  You can layer floral dresses with tights, thigh high socks or you can even slouch your socks down over sneakers or boots to create a casual and cozy vibe.  Floral sundresses are also fun to transform into a 90s grungy vibe, which is fun to pair with a darker lipstick.  Bring out the colors in your floral dress and layer it up with coordinating knitwear too!

3.     Matching Two-Piece Sets

Two-piece sets were all the rage this summer.  From solids to prints to crochet, they were everywhere.  Just because the season is over does not mean that this summer staple needs to be retired. To make the two-piece set look even more “together” than it already can, add tights to truly unify the look and create a full outfit that looks so put together, even though you got dressed in .03 seconds.

4.     Bright colors

You know that black has become the unofficial non-color color of closets since the beginning of time, but that doesn’t mean that your neons and jeweled hues should be buried next to all of your free Seton Hall t-shirts.  Bright colors are even more fun to wear in cooler months because it provides more of a statement in a sea of dark clothing.  Provide contrast with your colors and make a statement with a bright scarf or colored booties.  Sometimes it is even more fun to go all Regina George on an outfit and wear a bright pink top with an edgy leather skirt.  Can you tell that we love retro style?  (Editor’s note: 2004 still holds a valuable and useful place in our hearts.) Mixing flirty with edgy can be an ultimate recipe for cool (which we already know you are).

5.     Denim Skirt

If you would have told us that we would be writing about denim skirts in 2015, we would have shot that idea down in disbelief.  But yes—our inner Laguna Beach and Abercrombie-worshipping selves can bask in the glory again.  Denim skirts are all the rage and are still the epitome of effortless, beach style.  However for fall, take your denim chambray shirt that you wore over thin camisoles for the beach and pair it with the denim skirt.  Denim on denim is all the rage and America’s favorite fabric is for sure to be the it-girl trend once the cool weather hits. 

With that being said, we hope that you and your closets can take a sigh of relief so that you don’t have to suffocate and store away your favorite summer essentials for another 6 months.  Now that you know the tips on how to keep your looks fresh and Pumpkin Spice Latte- approved, you can definitely hit up all of the 60 percent off summer clothing sales and score some awesome deals to wear for the fall. We know how much you love saying that “Ooo thanks! I got it on sale!” response when someone obsesses over your top.  Don’t act like you never do this, especially while following the statement with “it’s so cute for fall!”

We hope you have a fun, fashion-filled fall! HCxo!

Rebecca Gramuglia is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Graphic Design at Seton Hall University. As the Campus Correspondent for the Seton Hall Her Campus chapter, Rebecca enjoys writing all types of pieces from features to relatable blog posts. In addition to being the HC Campus Correspondent, she is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and is the President of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not glued to her MacBook, you can find Rebecca obsessing over clothes and watching Clueless.