This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

As the fall semester comes to a close students are preparing for finals. Study rooms are almost always signed out and the library is open 24/7. In order to get through this finals season follow the study tips below.

• Create your own study guide: Although many teachers will provide a study guide, creating your own will help you understand the material better. You can outline important info and highlight places that you need to study more.
  • Start early: If you start ahead of schedule, you won’t have to cram the night before.
  • Attend the review session: While many people like to skip the review session, especially if it’s held outside of class time, review session will offer vital information, such as the exam format, key concepts, etc.
  • Organize a group study session: Studying in a group can be helpful and you can even teach your classmates, which will help you understand the material better.
  • Stay well rested: You can’t fully focus if you don’t get enough sleep.
  • Take breaks: You can’t memorize all the material at once. Balance is key to ensuring that you recharge and relax.
  • Create a study schedule: Prioritize your classes and create a study schedule so you have time to study for each class. 
  • Study for the style of exam: If it’s multiple choice, you should study definitions and concepts. If it’s essay, focus on understanding all the concepts with examples in mind.
  • Quiz yourself: Create your own mini-exam and you will be even more familiar with the material come exam day.
Rebecca White is a junior at Seton Hall University in New Jersey where she is majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Writing. She has been on the Dean’s List every semester of her college career and will graduate a semester early in December 2016. During her internships she has conducted celebrity and author interviews. Rebecca is a writer for her college newspaper, The Setonian, and is the Arts and Entertainment copy editor. She aspires to be a novelist while working in the publishing industry, either as a book editor or magazine editor.