The Signs of Human Trafficking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

According to the Department of Homeland Security human trafficking is defined as “modern- day slavery and involves the use of force, fraud, or coercion to obtain some type of labor or commercial act.” Humans are the 3rd most trafficked item in the world behind drugs and arms.

This topic has been one that has been on my heart for years. I had the opportunity this summer to work and research on this specific topic. It is unbelievable how many things happen right under our nose. One of the most prominent places where humans are trafficked is New York City. One of the most practical ways to help others is to keep your eyes open for signs. We also need to be aware. Many people are not aware that human trafficking is still going to on today or that it happens in the US. But it does. About 800,000 people are trafficked across international borders into the US. This includes labor and sexual trafficking.

The Department of Homeland Security released a list of red flag signs:

• Is a juvenile engaged in commercial sex acts?
  • Is the person disoriented or confused, or showing signs of mental or physical abuse?
  • Does the person have bruises in various stages of healing?
  • Is the person fearful, timid, or submissive?
  • Does the person show signs of having been denied food, water, sleep, or medical care?
  • Is the person often in the company of someone to whom he or she defers? Or someone who seems to be in control of the situation, e.g., where they go or who they talk to?
  • Is the person living in unsuitable conditions?
  • Does the person lack personal possessions and appear not to have a stable living situation?
  • Does the person have freedom of movement? Can the person freely leave where they live? Are there unreasonable security measures?

Also always trust your gut. If you ever feel something is off it’s better to be safe than sorry. The hotline is 1800373788. They will investigate EVERY call. Also never approach someone you believe is a victim. You could possibly get them in trouble with their captor. There are people who are especially trained to handle these situation.

On October 14 A21, an organization that works with victims and to prevention, will be having their annual Walk for Freedom. If you feel a tug at your heart to do something check it out. http://www.a21.org/content/walk-for-freedom/go8h3c.