The Pros and Cons of Starting the Holiday Season Early

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

We all appreciate Thanksgiving break as an all-you-can-eat, guilt-free, stress reliever between midterms and finals. However, some of us just can’t help jumping right from carving pumpkins to hanging garland around our dorm rooms. But really, can we blame them? Tree lightings, peppermint flavored coffees at Dunkin and all of those classic holiday movies throw us perfectly into the holiday spirit. How much is too much though? Is putting our pirate blue Santa hats on starting early November too much of an overkill?

Here’s a list of pros and cons to starting the holiday season early:

Pro: Getting to rock out to all of your favorite Christmas songs!

Con: If you start a month early, how many times can you really listen to Jingle Bell Rock before you’re absolutely sick of it?

Pro: You can get an early start on all of your gift shopping with early sales.

Con: If you work in retail, your job becomes hell that much earlier.

Pro: You wait all year for those comfort foods (and most importantly desserts) that the holidays seem to bring around, and now you can start early!

Con: You’re eating all of these foods twice as long and are going to have to work twice as hard to work it off, as per your New Year’s Resolution.  

Pro: You can decorate, shop, spend time with family and do basically everything you want to do for winter break in a timely manner.

Con: Now it’s finally really time for the holidays and you don’t know what to do because you’ve literally done everything you wanted to do already so you’re just like:

Jacquelyn (Jaci) is a Senior at Seton Hall University with a major in Communication Studies and hopes to go into advertising. A majority of Jaci's free time is spent with her sorority Alpha Delta Chi, of which she is Vice President. Any other free time she has is usually spent crafting, reading cheesy romance novels, and spending quality time with her family, friends, boyfriend and cat...mostly her cat.