The New Year Only Marks a Calendar Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

The clock hits 12 a.m.  There is a burst of light as everyone with a New Year’s Resolution, which, according to the Statistic Brain Research Institute, is about 45 percent of the American population, suddenly transforms into health gurus or exercise fiends, or sudden non-smokers, etc. At this moment, everyone can feel that THIS will be their year.  They will conquer 2016 and all that it has to bring.  However, based on the same research, only 8 percent of those people are successful in actually keeping those resolutions.  So why make a life goal; a goal that could change you for the better, if there is no urge to keep it?  Why, when the clock strikes twelve on what seems to be a normal night, is everyone suddenly motivated to become a better person?

Most resolutions wind up fizzling out by the end of January, when the days become darker and more cold and people fall back into their old habits of sleeping instead of waking up for the gym, and choosing Twix over a kale smoothie.  The mindset of “this new year will be my year,” turns into, “this is just another year that I have to get through.”  Although the New Year can definitely feel like a turn of the page in the book of life, it is really just a calendar change.  The days and months will roll by no matter what date they are labeled.  The Lords of Time are not going to grant everyone extra powers to conquer this specific year as opposed to last year. 

Taking control of the New Year and surveying it as a landmark instead of a magical fresh start is the way to be more successful in your endeavors.  For example, instead of telling yourself “Oh, Jan. 1, 2016 is fast approaching, I MUST start eating clean and going to the gym,” say “I think Jan. 1 is the day that I start the long journey of settling down to a healthier lifestyle.”  New Year’s Resolutions are usually a process, so going crazy in the beginning, only to be burnt out by the end of Jan./ beginning of Feb., is not the best plan of action.  People also forget that they can start a new resolution at any time in the year.  If the first resolution is not working out, instead of giving up, modify the goal and begin again.  Jan. 1 is not the only date in the whole year that one can start a different lifestyle; there are 365 in the year and any of those days can be a turning point.

The start of the New Year can be considered a fresh start, but it is not the only fresh start that you’ll get over the entire year.  You can decide to be a better version of yourself at any point in your life.

Hey there party people! My name is Sam and I am a double major in Art History and Journalism. Odd mix? Well I am an odd person ;). I have many, many passions in life; some of which include sweet corn, Vincent van Gogh, sugar, my relationship (corny whatever), the stage, writing, squatting, party pants, and The Office. If you put something in front of me, I'll probably be passionate about it. Well, that's me! Yay! Wahoo! Yee haw!