My Transfer Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

My college experience began at Mount San Antonio Community College 2,744 miles away from Seton Hall University. After graduating from community college I was set to attend a four-year university in California. My intent to enroll was submitted and deposits were paid. Seton Hall was always on my mind but I pushed the idea away because at the time New Jersey just seemed too far. I decided that it was something that I wanted and I spent the first weeks of summer convincing my mom to let me go.

I moved across the country on a whim, which is quite unlikely for me. It takes me roughly two days to draft an email and I need about seven people to approve it. In that July moment I thought I had it all figured it out. I was going to move across the country and everything was going to fall into place.  

My big move would not have been possible if it weren’t for my loving sister. Jenna flew with me to New Jersey to help me get settled and the concept of being alone so far away from home didn’t sink in until after we said our goodbyes. I never imagined that it would be this hard. Honestly, I blame books, movies, social media and TV shows. They make it seem like everyone is having this grand college experience. Meanwhile, I am eating most of my meals alone in the Caf just dying to chime in on the conversation next to me regarding last night’s episode of Grey’s Anatomy.  

The concept of a fresh start and nobody knowing anything about me made the idea of leaving refreshing. College is a very social environment and being on the outside of bonds is like torture. Being a junior transfer is like being a freshman but only worse. You’re older but you don’t know where things are or how things work. Freshmen tend to flock together but I am not sure where all of the transfer students hang out. It feels like relationships have already been established and memories have already been made. I’ve made acquaintances and some friends but I have not established the friendships that I thought I would have by now. I had unrealistic expectations about what being at a four-year university would be like.  

I have been lacking in the friendship department. However, I have grown in ways I never thought possible. My whole life, I have felt that I am a person that talks about doing things but in the end I never do it. But I did it and I am here. I now know how to prepare my own food, I find comfort in being alone, and I am quite fond of public transportation. I have a newfound appreciation for my hometown and my mother’s cooking.  

I am not completely alone on this journey. My best friend from high school attends Fordham University in New York. It is comforting to have a piece of home only a 40 minute train ride away. Olivia and I have gone on many amazing adventures on the East Coast. We even got stranded at the New Haven Train Station after a concert, but that’s a story for another time. Being close to Olivia has made this experience less miserable. I am grateful to have access to one of the greatest cities in the world. I know that if I did not choose Seton Hall, I would never have had the opportunity to see New York City the way I’ve seen it these past months. 

I love the diversity of Seton Hall and the South Orange community. Writing for the Setonian, Stillman Exchange, and being a part of HerCampus has been wonderful. I have learned a lot from all of my professors and peers. I miss my family, friends and home so much that it can be overwhelming at times. This transition has not been easy but I am proud of my decision to attend Seton Hall. I know that I will eventually establish the friendships I have hoped for. California has my heart, but the East Coast is another world of beauty. This journey has taught me that I am capable of much more than I ever imagined. 

My name is Margarita Williamson and I am a junior Journalism major from beautiful Southern California. I have a passion for ranch dressing and I love country music, Netflix, and reading. I support all things Taylor Swift and will defend One Direction till the end. My knack for investigating is top notch. I aspire to attend law school in the hopes of one day becoming a legal commentator.