My Thoughts Pre Election 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

On November 8th we find out who our next president will be. It can be scary. You can vote for whoever you want to vote for, but you have to agree that our choices are terrible. Hillary Clinton has shown that she cannot be trusted and does not have us “little people” in mind. She’s been under investigation with the FBI not once, but twice. Donald J. Trump. He’s a mess and half. He’s a racist, misogynist, homophobe, and the list goes on. It’s hard to believe these are our choices. These next four years will be interesting to say the least. One thing we do have to think about is what happens after the election.

Yes, many of us may have gotten in arguments on Facebook with people we haven’t talked to since our high school graduation, but once this season is over, we have to go back to being “normal.” This election season has caused us to see a different side of ourselves and our friends. We have to bounce back to our “normal.” When you’ve had a bad day, is Hillary going to come and bring you a pumpkin spice latte? Is Donald going to rub your back while you cry over that stupid guy who didn’t call you back? No, our friends and family will be there.

What do we do when our new president is announced and the other candidate goes on their private jet back to their mansion? I saw a quote about this that I will summarize by saying: at the end of the day, we have each other as a community. Our neighbors, classmates, friends, and family: these people are the people who are going to make real change. We can help stop hatred by teaching the children watching us about each other’s differences. We can help those we see in need by reaching out to them and seeing what we can do to help. It’s up to us. We have to have to be able to come together and help each other out because no matter who you want to win, you have to agree these next four years are going to be a wild ride.