Music Festival Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year: where the flower crowns are blooming and everything in your closet is crocheted.

Yes, we are talking about festival season.  From Coachella to Bonnaroo to Warped Tour to Firefly, there will be a lot of festivals taking place in the upcoming months.  With the blaring sun and your hopes of getting a nice bronze tan, you need to be safely prepared.

Don’t roll your eyes at me.  Safety tips are essential for any trendy music goer.  Missing your favorite performer because you decided not to drink water is totally not worth it.

Let’s get the basics down so you can have an awesome time.

1.     HYDRATE

This one is pretty obvious because you should always stay hydrated no matter the weather, but with the hot climates and lack of shade at many music festival locations, you must always carry your bottle of aqua close by.

2.     LAYER IT UP

Wear loose light clothing. Hot days and cool nights are necessary for layers. Any unnatural fabrics can expedite the sweat and smelly B.O. process.  So gross.  The lighter colors will keep you cooler and more natural fabrics like cotton are easy to breathe in.

3.     WEAR SPF

Nobody looks good as a lobster. No one. Plus SPF can protect you from the harmful rays of the sun. Brands like L’Oreal make ones that smell amazing and are really light on your skin.

4.     KNOW WHO IS PERFORMING

Okay so this tip is considered a safety tip so that you don’t look like a poser.  Festivals are the time for lesser known bands to make their mark, and acting like you’re their number one fan when you don’t even know who they are, is almost worse than admitting the real truth.

5.     BE SAFE

The buddy system that you learned in elementary school is still relevant.  Don’t wander and stay with a friend.

To get the professional inside scoop, we sat down with Chris and Bobby Dutton of GrooveBoston.

GrooveBoston has implemented a #RageResponsibly campaign that encourages attendees to have the best time while being responsible.

“#RageResponsibly is a force of positivity in an industry that tends to be surrounded by some negative stigmas,” says Chris, who is the Brand Director of GrooveBoston.

He also discussed how they are not trying to act as parents, but encourages discussion about #RageResponsibly amongst peers.  Bobby, the Director of GrooveBoston, also touched on the idea of partying at music festivals.

“When people think about partying, there can be a certain negative association,” he mentions.

With the plethora of music festivals approaching, it is extremely important to have a great time and soak it all in.

Bobby lastly adds that “the worst thing in the world you could do would be to put yourself in a place where you’re not capable of taking this in.”

Keep in mind the tips we mentioned above because when you’re dancing in your boho dress at a festival this summer, we want you to have an amazing time that you can remember. 

Rebecca Gramuglia is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Graphic Design at Seton Hall University. As the Campus Correspondent for the Seton Hall Her Campus chapter, Rebecca enjoys writing all types of pieces from features to relatable blog posts. In addition to being the HC Campus Correspondent, she is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and is the President of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not glued to her MacBook, you can find Rebecca obsessing over clothes and watching Clueless.