Lady Gaga’s Halftime Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Super Bowl Halftime shows are known for their (usually) political jabs at societal issues facing society currently. For example, Beyoncé’s highly controversial performance was centered on the “Black Lives Matter” movement; however, Lady Gaga’s performance wasn’t quite so blunt as many were confused as to where her social commentary showed. I’m here to show that her act, although more subtle than customary, pointed towards current events facing the US today in a more refined way.

As many have seen in the news, “This Land is Your Land” is a very famous tune in American history that has been used a lot recently in the protests against Donald Trump’s appointment to presidency. She combined that song with “God Bless America,” a sacred song to Americans. She definitely wanted to show that although the US was in the midst of political turmoil, America is still America and nobody should be able to tear us apart.

Of course, Lady Gaga is known for her avocation for inclusiveness and equality for everyone. She had to sing her song “Born This Way” a little bit louder and more passionate in light of the controversial immigration and travel bans that have been proposed recently. In the song, she speaks about being different makes you unique, brave, and worthy. The crowd felt an instant connection to this one.

Refreshing to many, Lady Gaga’s performance was not too political. She was still able to get her point across peacefully. Maybe this was her way of showing that we all have opposing views, but expressing them calmly is the only way to stay united.