samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Intern’s Guide to NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Syllabus week is over (RIP), and you’ve just set your alarm clock for 5:45 a.m. because your first day at your new internship in New York City begins tomorrow!

For a first-timer, this can be pretty nerve-wracking.  Questions like “what train should I take?” and scary thoughts like “I don’t understand the subway at all,” are typical intern questions, but have no fear—Her Campus is here.

To get you prepped for your internship in NYC, here are a few tips to make it go as smoothly as possible.

1. Practice your commute at least once.

This is crucial.  There is nothing scarier than rushing the morning of your first day with the nauseating combination of nerves and confusion.  Even if you just landed your internship last minute, you’ll most likely get at least a week before you start.  

Important tip: try to practice the commute on a weekday.  South Orange train schedules run differently from weekdays and weekends so be on the look out for time changes.

2. Download Hop Stop

If you’re taking the subway to get to your internship (see #1 as well), download HopStop.  This app tells you exactly what subway to take once you punch in your exact location and will list additional subway train times.  It’s a must-have.

3. Make sure your outfit is steamed or ironed the night before.

Steaming a blazer while hot water is spewing out (if you buy a cheap steamer, or it’s your first time using one) twenty minutes before you need to be on a train is not a good look.  We know that you’re not five years old, but lay out your outfit the night before.  It saves a lot of time.  Also have you ever seen the scene in Clueless when she goes for her driving test, but doesn’t have her “most capable looking outfit?”  Spoiler alert—Cher fails and we don’t want you to fail either!

4. Bring snacks.

With our endless and sometimes super long breaks in between classes, it’s not always a thought to bring a snack to class.  When you’re at a desk, or on a set, or running around the city, be sure to pack a few yummy and healthy snacks that will hold you before and after lunch for the commute home.

5. Bring a notebook and a pen.

This last one is obvious, but the night before an internship can be a whirlwind of nerves, so be sure that you’re prepared for an exciting first day.  A notebook and a pen (or two) are usually essentials in order for you to complete a daily task or take notes on a cool meeting.  Writing down directions for a program or passwords helps avoid those repetitive questions that can make you seem unprepared for weeks to come.

Also get some sleep, but we know that’s hard because you’re probably reading this article as your steaming your H&M blazer, and searching for a pen at the bottom of your purse to bring with you to your internship.

Lastly, we want to wish all of the interns and potential interns the best of luck on your professional journeys!  It’s truly an exciting thing to be a part of. 

Rebecca Gramuglia is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Graphic Design at Seton Hall University. As the Campus Correspondent for the Seton Hall Her Campus chapter, Rebecca enjoys writing all types of pieces from features to relatable blog posts. In addition to being the HC Campus Correspondent, she is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and is the President of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not glued to her MacBook, you can find Rebecca obsessing over clothes and watching Clueless.