sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A How-To Guide to Celebrate ‘Treat Yo Self’ 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Chances are if you love to binge watch shows on Netflix, you’ve stumbled upon Parks and Recreation. Treat Yo Self day was introduced from the show on Oct. 13, 2011, a day when you treat yourself and splurge, simply because you can. It’s always relaxing to take some time for yourself, or exciting to buy that handbag you’ve been eyeing. HC SHU treated ourselves on Oct. 13, here’s six ways you can too.

Shoo stress with spa session

Those summer savings are dwindling away if you’re like practically every other college student. Treating yourself doesn’t mean you have to spend big money. Gather your roommates or housemates for a spa night after class. Put on a TV show, sit back and relax with mani pedis and face masks for some relaxing “me,” or in this case, “us” time. That homework can wait.

Take the weekend off

Get ahead with readings and homework so you have plenty of time to do whatever you want when the weekend comes around. You might have a little too much work now, but you’ll thank yourself later when you have more free time than usual.

Plan to go home

Sometimes the best “R&R” is a weekend at home. If you live close to campus make a visit home, better yet, surprise your family and friends with a visit home. We all need a break from school from time to time, it’s best to do that in a different environment. You’ll come back to campus feeling fresh and rejuvenated.

Eat a well-prepared meal

Tired of Caf food? Or better yet, tired of your own failed attempt at cooking? Treat yourself and plan a night out with friends. Stop by a restaurant you’ve been wanting to try, or a restaurant that you can’t get enough of. Lucky you, there’s plenty of restaurants near campus that offer student discounts so both you and your wallet can be full.

Save up and go shopping

When you think of treating yourself, you probably think of spending money, and that’s okay. It’s fun to splurge every once in a while, just as long as you don’t leave a hole in your pocket. Save up some extra cash and hit up the mall. Scout out sales and remember to show your student ID for discounts.

Head into the city

If you can’t make a trip home, then visit New York City with a group of friends. Look for cheap theater tickets online or visit Central Park for free. There’s plenty of sights to see without having to spend your life savings. Search online and plan what you want to do before making the trip to avoid wasting time.

Leah Carton

Seton Hall

Leah Carton is currently a junior at Seton Hall University majoring in Public Relations. She is the News Copy Editor and staff writer for The Setonian and manages the Seton Hall Her Campus Instagram and Twitter accounts.