Fake Fan and Proud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

“You only care about basketball because your team is doing well!”

You’re darn right I am! But why is that a bad thing? If my team is winning and doing well, why is it so horrible if I become more interested and excited?  Call me a “bandwaggoner” or a fake fan, but I don’t care. Watching a team at your school blossom into something great and putting themselves on the radar is exciting, and just because someone doesn’t watch every single game or go to every game does not make it any less exciting.    

College is a busy time, and contrary to popular belief, not everyone has time to follow sports. Yes going to games is fun, especially if that specific team is big at your school, and school spirit is important to the college experience, but it shouldn’t trump other aspects of college and people should not be shamed for not religiously following it.   There are so many sly comments served up when someone “suddenly” becomes interested in one of their school teams.  No, I did not JUST become aware that Seton Hall has a basketball team, thanks for asking. I just didn’t kiss the ground the team walked. Sorry, not sorry.     

The concept of shaming people for switching their favorite teams, especially in college, is understandable because one should always support their school first, even if they lose. But telling someone that they’re a fake fan because they only watch the championship game is invalid. Having the court fill up with excited fans is one of the best things about college games, and that usually happens when the team is winning.  I’m sure the team does not mind the extra support and would not call out the people that have not been to every game, so why should anyone else?

To you fake fans and bandwaggoners like me, don’t feel bad about watching only watching March Madness for your team or for dusting off your Seton Hall shirt just in time for the big game. If you’re going to be fake anything in this world, a fake fan is the best and most fulfilling type of fake you can be.

Hey there party people! My name is Sam and I am a double major in Art History and Journalism. Odd mix? Well I am an odd person ;). I have many, many passions in life; some of which include sweet corn, Vincent van Gogh, sugar, my relationship (corny whatever), the stage, writing, squatting, party pants, and The Office. If you put something in front of me, I'll probably be passionate about it. Well, that's me! Yay! Wahoo! Yee haw!