Dear Mom and Dad: Greek Life Didn’t Ruin Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

I didn’t write this article to preach to you the reasons why I think you should go Greek. I didn’t write this article to solely defend Greek life and its perfection—it’s not. And lastly, I didn’t write this article on the basis that anyone else would read it and want to join my organization.

If all those reasons that I listed above happen to work out the way that I described them, then great. If this article is the reason that you either now wish to go Greek, have a new outlook on Greek life as a whole, or if you now want to join a chapter of my organization, I’m happy for you. But for me, it’s a lot more than that.

I grew up with the understanding that any person associated with Greek life, especially a woman, was instantly inferior. This isn’t because my parents raised me to be a gender-stereotyping conformist, it was simply a direct result of American society.

I came into my freshman year at Seton Hall bearing that expectation. I literally cringed on move-in day when I watched herds of shrieking, peppy girls in matching wind breakers and letters run to help me get settled in.

I was under the impression that these girls only decided to be a part of some exclusive, ultimately glorified club to see how many frat boys they could catch the attention of. I figured the whole service aspect of it all was because they had to do something to try and preserve the title of being a Greek Organization.

Boy did I have it wrong.

Once I actually started meeting these girls, I realized that I was honestly, just a big a-hole. I had completely misjudged and written off so many people that didn’t even really get a chance to show me what it was really all about.

After a long winter break of contemplating, I decided to sign up for formal recruitment for the spring semester. When I told my parents, my dad just laughed in my face. My mom, the worrier that she is, simply turned her head and quizzically asked, “Greek life? Are you sure?” And my golden-child, athlete of an older sister just started mockingly referring to me as “her perfect littleeeeee (a term—obnoxiously—used by sorority girls everywhere). My parents have always been supportive, don’t get me wrong. But, I could definitely tell this was something that would need convincing. The problem was, I didn’t exactly have a laundry list of benefits to try and persuade my parents that I in fact was not ruining my life, just yet anyway.

Now I stand here, exactly one year later, as one of those peppy, shrieking, matching-letter-and-windbreaker-wearing sorority girls. And I love it.

If I had never made the decision to put myself out there and give something new—and completely unknown—a chance, I would never had met the people I have or experienced the things I’ve done. I owe so many things to this organization and Greek life as a whole. It’s like the gift that keeps on giving.

Thanks to this organization I have 83 strong, beautiful, and intelligent women that will stand behind me no matter what, on my best days, and my worst. I have been given the opportunity to possess leadership positions to take action and be the change I wish to see. I can proudly say that I have helped to raise thousands of dollars for a philanthropy that I am passionate about—and not because I am forced to. I have secured my dream internship at Cosmopolitan Magazine in New York City with the help of my sisters. I have learned so much about myself as a person, and there are so many more reasons why I could thank Greek Life and my organization, but this article would be more like a book.

So yes, I wear matching windbreakers and my Greek letters. Yes, I am peppy and loud. Yes, I like to have fun and be social. Yes, we have photoshoots and love to take pictures. And yes, my “big” and I call each other perfect and say how much we love each other on a daily basis.

I am still me.

I am just a better version of me. I am a scholar, a friend, sometimes a writer, a daughter, an adventurer, a philanthropist, and a goofball. I am a sister, and I am loved.

And guess what, Mom and Dad… I am doing just fine.

Xoxo

A spunky and quirky Public Relations, Journalism, and Spanish Major at Seton Hall University and sister of Alpha Gamma Delta. A Syracuse native-turned-Jersey Girl. Slightly obsessed with John Mayer, my dog, and anything sparkly. Moving to the City and never looking back...