Cupcake Wars 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

The second annual Cupcake Wars hosted by Alpha Gamma Delta will officially kick off on Thursday, November 10th at 7pm in the Chancellor’s Suite.  Cupcake Wars started last year and quickly turned into one of the hottest events of the fall semester.

Generally, each Greek Organization has at least one team.  The teams consist of five people, and each team gets ten cupcakes to decorate.  The teams also get basic decorating supplies such as icing, sprinkles, and knives.  There are more advanced items that are auctioned off, such as candy, cookies, and different decorating supplies.  The teams get fifteen minutes to plan how they will decorate their cupcakes, according to the theme, which is announced at the beginning of the event.  Last year’s theme was “Pop Culture” and there were Disney Movie cupcakes, cupcakes based on television shows, political cupcakes, and so much more.  This year’s theme will also be broad so that the competitors have many options to choose from when decorating.  After the auction is done, the teams get forty-five minutes to decorate the cupcakes.

This year, we added a little activity for the spectators.  We will have construction paper and coloring supplies so that while the spectators are waiting for the cupcakes to be decorated, they can decorate Christmas cards for us to send to a local Children’s hospital in the month of December.  With this, we have combined both philanthropy and community service! The spectators will also be provided with snacks and water.

After the forty-five minutes, the teams present their best three cupcakes to the judges.  The four judging categories are “People’s Choice”, “Creativity”, “Appearance”, and “Adherence to Theme”.  The People’s Choice Winner receives a small prize, but the three main winners get a mini pizza party that is provided as soon as they win. 

Last year’s turnout was amazing and we hope that this year’s turnout is just as great!  The link to buy tickets for this fun event is as follows https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cupcake-wars-tickets-28879823329 .

We hope to see you there!

Hey there party people! My name is Sam and I am a double major in Art History and Journalism. Odd mix? Well I am an odd person ;). I have many, many passions in life; some of which include sweet corn, Vincent van Gogh, sugar, my relationship (corny whatever), the stage, writing, squatting, party pants, and The Office. If you put something in front of me, I'll probably be passionate about it. Well, that's me! Yay! Wahoo! Yee haw!