Cherry Blossoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

As a great deal of Americans know, March and April mean that the famous Cherry Blossoms that line the streets, and most famously the Tidal Basin surrounding the Potomac River on which the Jefferson Memorial stands, are in bloom. For those who live in the Washington, D.C Metro area as I do, this season is unavoidable due to the immense traffic that tourists bring during the few weeks before the Cherry Blossoms retreat until next March. But thankfully, you can avoid the use of a car by either walking or taking the Metro, which isn’t terribly hard to use.

This year the National Cherry Blossom Festival, which commemorates the 1912 gift of the trees from Japan to the Nation’s Capital, will be going on between March 15 and April 16. Oh, I can already sense the traffic on I-95 as cars slow so passengers can get a glimpse of the beauty the blossoms bring! The Cherry Blossoms are always a welcome sight, especially after the brutal winters we tend to experience. They are a symbol of spring and overall joy and contentment between harsh winters and the humid, seemingly unbearable summer to come.

The National Cherry Blossom Festival has become one the nation’s greatest celebration of the season. First Ladies from Helen Taft to Michelle Obama have been noted to plant one or two trees in West Potomac Park. So, if you don’t want to miss out on some of the most beautiful sights in Washington (and trust me, this is something you don’t want to miss) you’d be wise to plan your trip quickly, as the Blossoms are in bloom for only so long.

Fun Fact: Did you know it is against the law to pick Cherry Blossoms from their branches?