Campus Cutie: Greg Scavelli

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Hometown: Franklin Square, Long Island,

Major/Minor: Sport Management and Finance, Minor in Legal Studies

Relationship Status: Single

Campus Activities: Alpha Sigma Phi

Celebrity Crush: Felicity Jones

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Greg Scavelli! We sat down with the musical movie buff and chatted all about relationships, school and bucket lists items. 

Her Campus (HC): What’s something most people don’t know about you?

Greg Scavelli (GS):  Something most people don’t know about me is how much I really love music and film. Music has been a big part of my life since day one. My parents exposed me to a lot of good music when I was younger and, it really helped shape me into the person I am today. I try and listen to at least a few songs from one new group every day. I have found a lot of great bands that way, my favorites are Arcade Fire, Phish and of course the Beatles.

On the other hand, film is something that I really got attached to later on in life. My love for movies was really first gauged by my dad and uncles, who are all film buffs themselves. I also acted in a few films and, even have my own profile on IMBD.com.

I also, really used to hate dogs and was super terrified of them—to the point where I couldn’t even be in the same room as one. Then, while I was at Seton Hall my family decided to get a dog. His name is Famé which is the Italian word for hungry. He is such a good pup and now I look at dogs differently because of him.

HC: What’s your favorite part about being in a fraternity?

GS: My favorite thing about being in a fraternity is definitely the brotherhood aspect of it. I feel like no matter where I am, I have someone’s support. Especially the brothers from my pledge class, the Nu’s, those guy are some of my closest friends in the world. We are all different, we all come from different parts of the country, and many of us have polar opposite personalities. It really just flows so well when we are all together and I can honestly say I know I have 15 guys who will have my back for the rest of my life.

HC: What’s one thing on your bucket list?

GS: One thing on my bucket list is to travel across the United States. One of my favorite things about college is hearing about the cultures from all the different regions of the country. I want to travel to all the major cities in the country. To actually experience all of what this great country has to offer, is absolutely number one on my bucket list.

HC: What would you be doing if you weren’t at Seton Hall?

GS: If I wasn’t at Seton Hall, I would probably like to have my own record label. I feel that because I listen to all this great music, it would be my obligation to help out the young musicians trying to get on their feet. That would also turn something I do as hobby, into a (hopefully) lucrative career that I could see myself doing for a very long time. 

HC: What’s your ideal first date? 

GS: Back on Long Island, there is a really nice boardwalk in a town called Long Beach. It’s a very peaceful area that is right along the beach, but also right near the center of town. It’s calm when it gets close to nighttime, so it’s really a great place to be able to talk and really get to know someone. It would probably start on the beach, then maybe go into town for food or ice cream. Later, when the busy beach gets much calmer we could walk back to the beach and watch the water and the boats. In my opinion, that is great backdrop when you are trying to get to know someone.

HC: What’s the first thing you notice about a girl?

GS: The first thing I notice about a girl is definitely her ability make me laugh, and her smile…I really like seeing people happy. I also really look to see if she can reciprocate and make me laugh too. This will never get old because there will always be happiness. Her smile is very important, because you can really tell when a smile is genuine. If I can catch one of those from someone no matter what it looks like, I just think that is a really amazing quality.

HC: What’s a major deal breaker?

GS: A major deal breaker for me is not being able to have a conversation. If I feel as though if I am talking to someone and the conversation keeps going in circles then, there is really no point in going any further. Most of the time you spend together is going to be talking, so if it’s someone I can’t talk to then in my opinion that is a major deal breaker

HC: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

GS: In ten years, I see myself with a steady job in the New York City area. Hopefully, working in the basketball operations department with the New York Knicks—that’s my dream job. That would also give me the opportunity to live in the city for a while. Ideally I would like to live on the upper West Side which, in my opinion, is the nicest part right by Central Park West. My favorite part of the park is Strawberry Fields, a memorial to John Lennon and I would love to live right by it. Eventually, if I am lucky enough end up starting a family I would like to give my kids the opportunity to grow up on the greatest place on the planet..Long Island, New York.

While striving to become a high maintenance magazine girl, Rachel in the mean time, is a Senior Diplomacy major at Seton Hall. Obsessions include: her dog, airplanes, horoscopes (Cosmo astrologers are n e v e r wrong), and her sorority. When asked where she plans to be in 10 years Rachel responded "In 10 years I hope I'm either a very successful NYC woman or on vacation...either will do really."