Campus Celeb: Cynthia Sularz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

We recently sat down with inspiring Seton Hall senior, Cynthia Sularz, and also one of Her Campus’ national winners of the 22 Under 22 contest.  With her work in advocating for human and women’s rights as well as other female issues, we asked her to reflect on her memorable college career as well as some other fun Seton Hall questions.

Year: Class of 2016

Major: Diplomacy and International Relations, Modern Languages (Russian & German)

Hometown: West Milford, N.J.

Clubs/Activities: Currently – Seton Hall’s United Nations Association, SAVE, Seton Hall’s Model United Nations, Girl UP Campus

HC (Her Campus): What inspired you to get involved with women’s rights/issues?

CS (Cynthia Sularz): It’s always been a passion of mine. It’s hard to ignore the issues that deeply affect your day-to-day life as well as the lives of your peers. It’s always just been a natural fit. It also stems from my desire to advocate against human rights violations, which very often needs a gendered perspective to properly combat.

HC: What are you doing at Seton Hall to inspire women and impact the community?

CS: This past semester I worked with Cheyenne Crawford to host an event called “A Day in the life of a Girl.”  We had a representative from Girl UP of the Untied Nations Foundation come to our campus and speak on issues that face adolescent girls. We also had a panel of three professors from Seton Hall who spoke on the economic, media and social perspectives surrounding these issues. The professors were Dr. Alam, Professor May and Dr Mott. The event had over 70 students at it and was co-sponsored by seven different clubs on campus.

HC: Who inspires you?

CS: I’m inspired by a lot of people consistently in my life. I’ve been lucky, especially this semester, to be surrounded by ambitious and loving people who inspire me each day to work harder and do better. Those friendships at Seton Hall coupled with the past mentors I have had and currently have, really inspire me.

HC: What is your favorite part about Seton Hall?

CS: Might be cliché, but my friends and mentors. I’ve met extraordinary people, professors and professionals through Seton Hall and I owe a great deal of my success to them.

HC: What advice do you have for collegiette women?

CS: I always say this, but apply. Apply for anything that even slightly interests you. Work on being out of your comfort zone and being wrong sometimes. I think every college student needs to understand that college is a learning process and you don’t have to be right all the time and succeed every second. The amount of “noes” I’ve gotten on my applications is a great deal larger than the “yeses” I have gotten, but those few yeses have allowed me to have the college career I have. Be wrong. Fail. But don’t stop trying new things and applying for 110 programs and opportunities.

HC: What has been your favorite moment at Seton Hall so far?

CS: Oh this is a difficult question. I think my favorite moments at Seton Hall are seeing how my friends from freshmen year have grown into the amazing people they are today. So many people in my class are so accomplished and wonderful, and I just love hearing about their experiences and successes.

HC: What do you hope to accomplish in the future?

CS: I hope to continue to make an impact on helping people. Whether I focus on the rights of adolescent girls, or youth in general, or even just the basics of helping an organization that combats Human Rights Violations to function that’s well worth it. I just want to help, honestly, in anyway I can. 

Now it’s time to ask Cynthia some fun questions!

HC: Cove or Caf?

CS: Cove. No question. Those Caramel Lattes are my life and blood.

HC: Lib or studying in a dorm?

CS: This year I have really preferred studying in my dorm.

HC: What do you like to do for fun on the weekends?

CS: Depends on the weekend, but I enjoy hiking and trying new things. I’ve really challenged myself to try a lot of new things this semester and that’s something that I’ve really enjoyed.

HC: Who is your celebrity crush?

CS: Ben Wyatt from Parks and Recreation. I just want to be clear my crush isn’t Adam Scott, the actor, but it’s the fictional character he portrays.

HC: What would be your personal theme song?

CS: I feel like this changes everyday and probably by the time this is posted it will have changed, but I listened to “Our Own House” by Mister Wives about 10 times on my commute today so that works. Maybe their entire first album. 

Rebecca Gramuglia is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Graphic Design at Seton Hall University. As the Campus Correspondent for the Seton Hall Her Campus chapter, Rebecca enjoys writing all types of pieces from features to relatable blog posts. In addition to being the HC Campus Correspondent, she is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and is the President of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not glued to her MacBook, you can find Rebecca obsessing over clothes and watching Clueless.