Being Nonreligious at a Catholic University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

When I was deciding on colleges, religion was not a big concern of mine. I wasn’t worried about whether the college I attended was religious or not because religion didn’t play a part in why I was going to college; my major did.  I chose Seton Hall because they have one of the best Journalism programs, especially when it comes to their internships, and they have Creative Writing as a major, which most colleges only allow students to have as a minor.

Of course just because I’m not religious doesn’t mean that other people at Seton Hall aren’t religious. Lots of students that go to Seton Hall are Catholics and attend mass on Sundays.

Being a Catholic college means that we have things that others don’t, like a cross in every classroom. At this point, I barely even notice them anymore, but when I first started I thought it was different, and a big reminder that I attend a Catholic school. One of the biggest things that is hard to ignore about going to a Catholic college is Ash Wednesday and Lent.

Last year, I remember seeing everyone with these black smudges on their forehead and I was so confused. Now I know that they’re getting their ashes, and while I’m not 100% sure of the significance I know it’s important to them. Of course now that it’s Lent, I know Fridays will be completely meatless on campus. While I know this fact, I always find it to be a slight struggle as I realize how much meat I actually eat when Friday rolls around. There are other foods to eat and other ways to get the protein I need, and it’s only one day out of the week, but I’m always on the hunt trying to find food I’d be willing to eat.

I find myself lucky to be attending Seton Hall and experiencing the Catholic religion in a collegiate setting. While I’m still not a religious person, I can find appreciation for the happiness and comfort that Catholicism brings to others.

Hi! My name is Kiah Conway and I'm a double major in Journalism and Creative Writing here at Seton Hall. I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus, as well as a Chapter Advisor for some HC Chapters. If it wasn't already obvious, I am really passionate about writing. I'm also a serious Netflix addict and book lover. In between binge watching Marvel movies and doing homework, I spend my time hardcore Pinteresting and writing short stories.