7 Things We Learned From Freshmen Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

The class of 2018 has successfully ended their very first year of college. Yay! Now, we want to share with you some of the things we learned (we still have a long way to go).

1.     The first person you meet isn’t going to be your life long BFF.

People always say, “you meet your best friends in college” but as freshman, we get too excited and assume that everyone we meet is going to be our besties. Not everyone turns out to be a dud, but we have to keep an open mind when it comes to meeting new people. We might get a little too eager, but we have all the right intentions. We just have to remind ourselves that it will happen just not immediately. 

2. Leggings or yoga pants are always a good idea.

In high school we always dressed to impress, but wasting precious hours of sleep on hair and makeup is not the way of life. In college, everyone’s on the same page. If you want to wear sweats every day, you go right ahead. If you think jeans are the way to go, great! If you want to wear a dress and heels to your Friday 8am, more power to you! But since there is a significant less amount of pressure to impress our peers and to be true to ourselves, we think that comfy is better. Of course there is nothing wrong with perfectly curled hair and a flawless smoky eye, but we all know that leggings and a hoodie will be way more worth it.

3.     Our moms are our best friends.

We wanted to leave the nest so badly but once again, mom was right. We all hit that day when we said, “I miss my mom.” Whether it was because we now had to do our own laundry, or because we didn’t have someone who would listen to all our problems, that phone call with mom lasted at least an hour. Even though we enjoy not having to do chores and not having to update her on our grades, we realized that Mom is the real MVP.

4.     Take advantage of free things.

Welcome to college where you’ve said and heard those 5 little words, “I’ll go if it’s free!” We are officially living the broke college student lifestyle. The next question asked usually revolves around if there will be food. We have learned to take advantage of these free pizza events, and we may even admit to saving the napkins from takeout Chinese so that we don’t need to spend money on such a thing! It’s okay girls, we are in this together.

5.     The dorm rooms on Pinterest are NOT realistic.

Summer after high school we all searched for dorm room decorating ideas on Pinterest. We created the most perfect dorm on our newly added “College Life <3” board. But after crafting for hours, spending way more money than mom wanted to at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and getting to our rooms on Move-In Day with way too many things in our arms, we realized that Pinterest had failed us. Why Pinterest why?! (And chances are, your roommate probably didn’t buy the exact same comforter.) 

6. That Netflix subscription was the best money we’ve ever spent.

Hello TV show marathons! Netflix in bed is the perfect cure for a Saturday morning hangover, boy drama or those short 30 minutes in between your two classes. Regardless of when we watch it, we may even admit to watching it instead of doing our homework, it has never failed us. And the best part is, that it fills every craving we ever have! Whether it’s a Disney Movie marathon or watching re-runs of Orange is the New Black until the new season comes out, Netflix always has our back. We also know that there is nothing worse than getting the “are you still watching?” notification. Yes Netflix, I’m still watching…

7.     Don’t judge a book by its cover.

We know it’s cliché but it doesn’t make it any less true! We have learned that in order to meet new people, and make those life-long friends, we have to be open to new ideas and different personalities. Who knows– maybe you’ll miss out on meeting someone who’s totally cool, but you won’t get to know them because you’re turned off by the necklace she’s wearing. Let your guard down and meet new people! 

Although it may seem like Victoria aspires to be a modern day superhero because of her global justice obsession, she is actually a very mellow and simple kind of girl. She finds ways to enjoy the little things in life, like a good cup of coffee, pinning a new outfit on Pinterest, getting her nails done, or a new Cosmo magazine in the mail. But in the end, she does love the great joys that life brings as well. Invisible Children advocate, beach day enthusiast, aspiring stunt double for Anne Hathaway.
Rebecca Gramuglia is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Graphic Design at Seton Hall University. As the Campus Correspondent for the Seton Hall Her Campus chapter, Rebecca enjoys writing all types of pieces from features to relatable blog posts. In addition to being the HC Campus Correspondent, she is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and is the President of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not glued to her MacBook, you can find Rebecca obsessing over clothes and watching Clueless.