5 Reasons To Get Involved On Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

The first week of classes has officially come to a close and you may be thinking, “Where do I go from here?”

Well, to start the year off with a bang, your first step should be to get more involved in campus, whether it be through clubs, organizations, Greek life or even athletics. Luckily, the Involvement Fair is right around the corner! As you walk around the Green looking at all the tables, remember these five reasons to get involved during your time here at SHU:

1. You’ll feel more connected to campus.             

It’s important to make sure that you’re a part of the community, because this will be home for the next few years. So get comfortable and get involved.

2. It’s a resume builder.

Let’s not forget one of the main reasons we go to school in the first place. It’s all about building up that resume so when you go to a career fair (because you will!), you have your pick of high paying companies interested in you. Anna Bondi, a sophomore diplomacy and international relations major, says she got involved because it looks great.

3. It will help you discover your passions and strengths.

Not all of us enter university life knowing where we would like to end up when we “grow up.” Join clubs and find out what you’re passionate about and what you’re good at.

4. You’ll meet new people.

Freshman year of college comes around and you probably don’t know a lot of people at your university. Lexi Henderson, a sophomore art history major from California, says getting involved helps out of state students meet new people. “You’ll get to know people around you and will make new friends,” she says.

5. You’ll have fun!

Although our parents might tell us differently, college is not just about studying. This is the time to have fun, make new friends, go to as many concerts as you can and make the most of these short few years!

Rebecca White is a junior at Seton Hall University in New Jersey where she is majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Writing. She has been on the Dean’s List every semester of her college career and will graduate a semester early in December 2016. During her internships she has conducted celebrity and author interviews. Rebecca is a writer for her college newspaper, The Setonian, and is the Arts and Entertainment copy editor. She aspires to be a novelist while working in the publishing industry, either as a book editor or magazine editor.
Rebecca Gramuglia is a senior Public Relations major with a minor in Graphic Design at Seton Hall University. As the Campus Correspondent for the Seton Hall Her Campus chapter, Rebecca enjoys writing all types of pieces from features to relatable blog posts. In addition to being the HC Campus Correspondent, she is involved with her sorority, Alpha Gamma Delta, and is the President of the Public Relations Student Society of America. When she's not glued to her MacBook, you can find Rebecca obsessing over clothes and watching Clueless.