Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Habits to Save Money this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Taking that first step onto campus after a long summer can put a hole in your wallet. Charges start to add up from purchasing or renting textbooks, or from grabbing lunch with your friends. Here’s 5 money-saving tips to know that allow you to have fun without breaking the bank.

Create & stick to a budget Save yourself from getting to the point where you’re scared to check the status of your bank account. Be practical when you’re creating a personal budget. Allocate money for going out with your friends, as well as living on your own essentials. Remember, try your best to stick to your budget once it’s created.

Search online before buying books Textbooks are some of the pricier necessities you’re going to have to dish out money for in college. Search online from sites, like Chegg or Amazon, before buying or renting materials at full price. Another tip is to look at student-created Facebook pages or groups to see if upperclassmen are selling the used textbooks that you need.

Stock up & prepare your own food One of the best ways to save extra cash is to bring your meals or snacks to campus with you. Prepare and pack a sandwich with you for lunch rather than spending $10 on a quick meal. Even for those living on campus, bring snacks with you so there’s no need to dig into your pockets to find loose change for overpriced treats.

Find restaurants with student discounts Scout out restaurants around campus that offer student discounts. Check out Tito’s Burritos & Wings, Cold Stone, Pandang, the Village Diner, and more for discounted meals. Use the online delivery service, Deals4Meals, as a quick way to find local restaurants. Extra trip: The service gives students online credit toward future orders when you frequently place orders.

Seek out sales Hit up the sales at stores after the Back to School season starts. Fill up your cart up with items that you know you’ll need for next school year to save money in advance. Take the extra step and sign up for store email subscriptions to keep track of major deals that you don’t want to miss.

Leah Carton

Seton Hall

Leah Carton is currently a junior at Seton Hall University majoring in Public Relations. She is the News Copy Editor and staff writer for The Setonian and manages the Seton Hall Her Campus Instagram and Twitter accounts.