4 things to do if you’re single on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

I know it can be hard sometimes to be single on a day that is dedicated to couples. Since high school, I have been calling it Singles Awareness Day and I had been dreading it, but not this year. This is the year of self-love and happiness! We, the single ladies, will no longer be sad and home alone! Valentine’s Day is a day of love, and we love ourselves. Here are 4 things you can do on Valentine’s Day to make it a great day:

1. Treat yo self!: Make this day totally about you! Do things for you. Do something that makes you happy. Maybe go out to eat; hit the spa; spend time with a good book. Remember that movie that’s been sitting in your Netflix List? Pop some popcorn and watch it! And that meal you’ve been craving? Surprise! It’s cheat day! Just do things for you. Think of it as your birthday times ten.

1. Get off of social media: Don’t get me wrong, social media is absolutely great. I love it just as much as the next millennial girl, but it is a breeding ground for comparison. No matter how strong you are, you still end up comparing yourself to others, which is one of the toughest parts about social media. Scrolling can be frustrating when you see everyone’s highlight reel, so it’s just best to stop it before it happens.

1. Gather your Gal Pals and have a movie night: Round up all your single lady friends and watch some movies, as long as you don’t play sappy love stories. Watch a boss girl movie. It doesn’t have to be a man hating movie either because that’s not what it’s about. Just a good kick- butt movie with a strong female lead! Some examples include: Salt, Wonder Woman, and Lucy.

1. Get away: If you have the means and ability to take off of work or school and just go somewhere, then do it! Have some fun! Spend some time away and maybe even reflect on you. There’s nothing better than soaking up some sun or skiing down the slopes.

One of the most important things you have to remember is not to be bitter. Yes, you’re alone today, but it’s just one day. You have other people who love you. Take advantage of this single life, because you may miss it when it’s gone.