10 Ways to Get Your Summer Bod

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

10 Ways to Get Your Summer Bod

And feel great about yourself!

1. Hydrate  

Water is super important! Not only is it the best thing to drink but it gives you energy since it transports oxygen and glucose through your body. It’s important to drink during a workout as well because it lubricates your muscles, giving them strength and flexibility. Water also is responsible for sending messages to your brain during a workout, like regulating your body temperature.

2. Workout in the morning

Don’t put off your workout, if you can help it. Starting your day off with a workout not only gets it out of the way for the day, but also starts you off on a better note. Exercise releases endorphins, which make you happy, so you’re almost guaranteed to have a better day!

3. Abs are Made in the Kitchen   

Working out isn’t always enough. A healthy and balanced diet is just as important. Focus on eating lean meats, foods with low amounts of carbohydrates, and lots of protein to keep you full!

4. Motivate yourself  

It can be hard to find motivation, I get it. Set goals for yourself. Place post-it notes around your dorm/house/apartment/ etc. Write down your goals too, but make sure they are realistic.  Seeing what you want in ink is much more effective when you read it every day.

4. Do it with a friend

Speaking of motivation, fitness with a friend can be fun—say that five times fast. If you take on the challenge with a gal pal, it makes it that much easier! You can motivate each other and have someone to go to if you need help or some encouraging words.

5. De-stress with some fun 

There are more ways to get your exercise than just lifting or running—boring! Try taking Zumba classes, yoga, or spin. These workouts are super fun and are great at relieving stress, plus, THEY WORK! And, many universities offer them through your rec center!

6. Ignore the numbers 

Avoid weighing yourself all the time. Scales are not always accurate and if you’re really working out and gaining muscle, that adds pounds—don’t worry it’s a good thing! Muscle weighs more than fat! People who constantly worry about what the scale says are more likely to gain body image issues. Go by how your clothes fit and what your body feels like!

7. Treat yourself—with shopping!

Still need some more motivation to go to the gym? Buy yourself some cute workout outfits and you’ll be set! When you look good, you feel good!

8. Sleep, sleep, sleep

A good night’s sleep is always important when you’re trying to lead a healthy life. Your body is like a car, and when you drive it way too much without refueling and giving it some rest time, well, you’ll be taking it to the mechanic—a lot. So, grab your fav blankey and catch some Z’s.

9. Don’t get discouraged 

Losing weight and gaining progress takes time. Like anything, it’s a process. The important thing to remember is to stay patient and positive. You won’t shed pounds or magically gain a six pack overnight, but give yourself some time and you’ll get there! 

A spunky and quirky Public Relations, Journalism, and Spanish Major at Seton Hall University and sister of Alpha Gamma Delta. A Syracuse native-turned-Jersey Girl. Slightly obsessed with John Mayer, my dog, and anything sparkly. Moving to the City and never looking back...