Alexandra Orfirer-Maher

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

Name: Alexandra Orfirer-Maher

Year: Class of 2017

Major: Sociology and Women & Gender Studies

Hometown: Oakland, CA

Birthday/Zodiac sign: February 2nd, 1995 (Groundhog’s Day!)/Aquarius.

Campus Involvement: I am currently an RA on floor 9 of Campion in the Justice in a Diverse Society LC. I also try to be a frequent attender of lectures, panels, protests, and discussions on campus. I think those events are such a great way to make connections with other people who are passionate about the same things you are. I would highly recommend students take advantage of the wide variety of interesting events that happen daily on our campus.

Finish this sentence: I don’t trust people who… Don’t shop at Trader Joe’s.

What do you think your patronus would be? I think my patronus would be a bear because bears are kind of silly and floppy but they can also be fiercely protective of what they care about. I see them as being kind, humorous, wise and ferocious, which are the perfect characteristics for a guardian and are also characteristics I strive for in myself.

What’s the theme song of your life: “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)” by the Beatles because it was on one of the first CDs I ever owned and has been a consistent love throughout my life.

What do you want to be when you grow up? It’s hard to put into words what I want to do once I graduate because most of my career interests don’t have specific names but currently I want to do activism/research. Specifically I want to focus on studying/working within Jewish feminist activist groups involved in racial, gender and sexuality justice.

What professors would you recommend to other students? I would highly recommend any classes taught by Dr. Rachel Luft, Dr. Jodi O’Brien and Dr. Christina Roberts. Of all the professors I have had, these three are the trifecta of brilliant, dynamic and caring teachers.

Give us a fun fact about yourself! I have been really into mystery shows ever since my sister and I used to sneak into the living room while my dad was watching Law & Order (which we weren’t allowed to watch). My favorite is Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, which is about a badass female detective in 1920’s Australia.

Just another college student trying to have it all, including style and comfort; follow my personal struggles with fashion, finances, and the future at www.thehannahgold.com