Staying Thrifty on a College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Whether you’re saving up for a spring break trip to Cancun, an upcoming semester abroad, or looking into saving and investing for next semester’s tuition and books; it is possible to save if you put your mind (and pennies) to it.

1. Look for a part-time on-campus job or one at a local restaurant or retail store. Working a part time job while in being a full-time student isn’t always glamorous, but it does bring in extra money for groceries, books, and necessities. Transferring a certain amount per paycheck into a savings account can help you save funds for the future. Associated Students on campus continues to post new jobs on its website and the Career Services site has many options for SDSU students looking for part-time work. 

Note: Many food service and restaurant jobs offer tips to employees which can help rake in extra money if you’re saving for a vacation or car!

2. Buy local, in-season, and in bulk. Groceries and restaurant indulgences are inevitably a huge part of spending in college. To save cash on food; stock up on essentials like cereal, rice, beans, and chicken at whole sale food stores such as Costco. If you know you eat a granola bar every day then buy a box of 35 for a discounted price rather than spending more than you have to. Produce is cheapest when buying in-season, and even cheaper when buying local. Visit a local farmer’s market for steals on vegetables and fruits to stay thrifty and healthy during the school year.

The Ocean Beach Farmer’s Market happens every Wedensday beginning at 4pm. Avoid eating out as much as possible, and seek out happy hour deals and discounts when you do. It is okay to go out for an acai bowl or pizza and a drink with your friends every once in a while, but balance it out by taking your own food from home to school or making your own breakfast before class in the morning. Saving an extra few dollars from avoiding coffee or on-campus food purchases every day comes a long way. 

3. Exercise outside or utilize your gym membership to the fullest. San Diego is a sunny city with many trails, hiking locations, and beaches to get in a good workout on a clear day. Take this opportunity to your advantage and exercise outside if a gym membership doesn’t work with your budget. Try out Torrey Pines Hiking Trail or Lake Murray with a group of friends! If you do have a membership at the ARC or another local gym, use it to the fullest and take advantage of all the amenities included. 

4. Cut out any monthly payment necessities. If you’re not actually using your Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime accounts then cancel them. Detox and save your bank account from being charged every month from accounts you’re not using. 

5. Try out a mobile investing application. Mint.com, Acorns mobile application, and Benzinga can help out college students looking into saving and investing. You use apps for chatting, shopping, and ordering food, so why not to save a few dollars? Just make sure to look into the fine print and read more about them before starting. 

6. Compare book prices. The SDSU bookstore price matches so make sure to check Amazon Books, Chegg, Barnes and Noble, and KB Books for lower prices while buying books for any semester. 

Good luck on saving this semester, Aztecs! Join in the conversation and tell us your favorite ways to save throughout the school year. 

Photo Credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/63805593@N04/16805295559″>Saturday Morning Market via photopin“>http://photopin.com”>photopin “>https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/”>(license)

Kayla Jimenez is a third year Journalism student at San Diego State University with a passion for fitness and clean eating, college-style. She enjoys anything involving Pilates and cardio, cooking healthy meals for a steal, and sneaking in dark chocolate squares *whenever* possible.
Welcome to Her Campus SDSU!