The Mid-Semester Crisis…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

When October hits, you expect great fall weather, start planning your Halloween costume, and anticipate how great the coming months are going to be. This October instead brought horrible weather causing students to pull out their shorts, rather than their sweaters. This month also brought stress, rather than unique costume ideas. Who actually has time to plan their Halloween outfit these days? Looking at the upcoming weeks, it is clear the month will be anything but simple and fun. Just know that you are not only. Everyone in college can assure you that these emotions are normal and basically guaranteed when mid-semester hits.  Here are some of the emotions that come when the mid-semester crisis hits.

Confusion

This emotion is the beginning of it all. It happens when you look at your planner and realize that you either have a test or project due every week until Thanksgiving. You sit there and ask yourself “How did I not realize I had so much coming up?” “Why did I wait until the last minute to look at what I had coming up?”

Wanting to Drop Out

Your first instinct may be to just give up. The question “is it worth it” will enter your mind on numerous occasions. It is important to remember that you are the one who decided to go to college and now you have to stick with it and be a college student who studies two hours minimum for every class. You gotta do what you gotta do!

Horror

Then you actually look at what you have to do and what tests are coming up. You slowly realize that there is no getting out of it. You may sit there and think “Why can’t I just jump into the future and be done with this?” You may what to scream in horror after looking at your to-do list. Do it! That may just help you realize that this is real life, not just an extremely realistic nightmare. 

Being Overwhelmed

You realize there is absolutely no way you can get out of this one. You have officially hit the point where you have to start on every assignment and hit the books. “Well, there goes my social life for the next month!” Just have a mini breakdown and let it all out. Just know that you won’t feel overwhelmed for the rest of your life. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. 

A Sense Of Accomplishment 

All of your assignments are done and all of your tests have been taken. The dark times, that you thought would never end, have passed. You have reached the finish line. Go out and celebrate! Before you realize that you’ll have to go through the same thing next semester or maybe even next week.

Sophomore at San Diego State University, majoring in Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations. Campus co-correspondent in San Diego State University's Her Campus chapter. Born and raised in the Inland Empire. In addition to my love for journalism, I also love baseball, reading, and hanging out with my friends.