Meet the Candidates: VP of External Relations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Hi Aztecs!  It’s election time! We’ve been listening to the speeches, and the majority of the candidates running for Associated Students positions are ardent and driven. But Her Campus SDSU wanted to speak each candidate one-on-one, for a more personal connection.

To get to know the candidates running for executive positions, we made sure to interview each of them. We’ll continue to post each of their interviews online. Meet Celeste Rodriguez, Javier Gomez, and Allie Hillis, all running for Vice President of External Relations.

Celeste Rodriguez

Year: Senior

Major: Economics

What makes you the most qualified for this position?

Because External Relations deals with community relations, government relations, and communications- that’s all I’ve done at State. I sit on External Affairs Board and Lobby Corps Chair. Everything I want to do I’ve done already, and I want to expand it. I’ve met with our legislators, I’ve taught students to do the same and to lobby. I’ve educated and informed AS Council. I’ve worked on Rock the Vote, and I work with the Marketing Communications Commissioner as well as the Good Neighbor Program Chair. I’ve also has experience as AS Council’s Legislative Research Commissioner.

What has inspired you to run?

In ACHA, there was an award that was Most Likely to be AS President that I won. We joked about it, but the idea sunk in when Restructuring happened and I got the opportunity to do something. All of the cultural organizations decided to work together and get exposure and we made a change there. That inspiring moment, in making sure that students were represented on this campus level, was one where we came together and got things done.

What kind of positive change can you make on this campus?

I can really contribute to campus community by really getting organizations together by advocating student projects. A lot of organizations have similar goals and having them work together and bring all of these organizations together- to bring AS support to these organizations and projects. I’m ready to broaden the scope of AS and bring it to everyone and put it on the map.

What is your favorite SDSU memory?

When we announced our Voter Registration number because we got over 4,000. Our goal for the CSU was 10% overall and we surpassed that to get the most of any CSU. All of the hard work of External Affairs Board paid off and the students really represented.

Javier Gomez

Year: Senior

Major/Minors: Political Science, Anthropology minor, Television and Film and New Media Minor

My ability to voice the students’ opinion and my experience with working with students and being able to represent them and getting a lot of opinions at once. Getting one cohesive voice for the students and get that out, whether its to the state or the nation. I’m also an effective communicator so I’m able to get it out in a way that does represent students and really advocate for the students. Also, my experience on campus. I’ve been a big part of External Affairs Board and Rock the Vote. I’ve been at SDSU for 4 years, through rallies, furlough days, letters to Senator Brown, and writing on the dollar why CSU education is best for me and the students. With all that experience I’m able to advocate for a large range of students. My leadership, my experience, my ability to communicate with students, and to advocate that to the state and legislators makes me great for this position.

What has inspired you to run?

I’ve seen the student voice be disregarded. I’ve seen students want to voice their concern and people don’t have the resources. I want to be the resource and have people be able to come to me. And make a change and a difference and advocate for that student and all students. We are facing budget cuts. We are underfunded at the CSUs. The student voice needs to be heard, and I think I can do that pretty well.

I believe that the most positive change I can make on this campus is really giving students the resources that they need to be more informed. Enhancing student communication within the university and the community and all aspects. Making lobby workshops and letter writing to send to their representatives. Enhancing the communication that SDSU has with the community. Advocating all of the great things we do on campus such as being one of the most green and sustainable campus’s, all of the community service and outreach we do to help san diego, and all of our academic achievements. We should be recognized for the positive changes Aztecs are making. Once we have a better name in the community it well then in turn make your degree and the name of SDSU more prominent.

What is your favorite SDSU memory?

Going to the BYU game my Sophomore year, waiting for the tickets and finally having them. The energy and vibrancy of the game and how intense it was. The sense of Aztec pride in the room. It was such a great moment to be an Aztec, to feel that all around you.

Allie Hillis

Year: Junior

Major/Minor: Anthropology, Political Science minor

I feel that I’m the most qualified because not only have I sat on boards for AS, but I’ve also gone to regional and national conference in my position in the Residence Hall Association, so I have the experience of representing SDSU on a wider level. I also feel that I am extremely adaptable, which I feel will be really important in the upcoming year with the new AS structure.

What has inspired you to run?

Seeing all of the students come out for Rock the Vote this past year and getting Prop 30 passed are things that inspired me in taking the lead in getting students involved on campus, because it shows that when students come out and voice how they feel about things like student funding, they show that they can really make a difference. That’s why I want to get more students involved and continue their passion for advocacy.

I feel that if I were elected, I would truly voice SDSU’s opinion as whole and I would make it a point to go into different student organizations and understand how they feel. I believe this is important because it would show students that their voices are being heard on a school-wide level. If student voices are heard, then they will be more likely to get involved, which will make SDSU as a whole a better place.

What is your favorite SDSU memory?

The first few weeks here, because I met so many new people. The reason I met so many new people was because I met a new person on my floor and we made a competition to see who could introduce themselves to the most people. Because we did that in the first few weeks, it made the experience as a whole better, because we knew so many people after that.

Who do you think has what it takes to represent SDSU? Vote on SDSU Webportal by 7 p.m. on March 14, 2013. All it takes is a click!

Welcome to Her Campus SDSU!