Laura Nguyen: Student Joins Fight to End Violence against Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SDSU chapter.

Vaginas.

To say that many of us are uncomfortable to discuss them would be an understatement, but freshman Laura Nguyen fearlessly tackled the taboo topic in the play The Vagina Monologues. The monologues are based on a series of interviews conducted by Eve Ensler. The interviewees were women from all across the globe, and the subject, their vaginas. Every year, the play aims to raise awareness about the violence toward women and this year Nguyen has joined the fight to stop the violence and speak out against the social stigmas that keep us from celebrating an integral part of our womanhood.

What are the Vagina monologues?
It’s a play with stories about real women their experiences, sexuality, and, of course their vaginas. The author actually went and interviewed the women these stories belong to and they’re really empowering. They make you want to be a stronger person.

What got you interested in the play?
At first I just wanted to be involved in theater and the Vagina Monologues sounded fun but once I auditioned and got caste, I found out the show was about so much more than entertainment. A lot of these stories are about rape, abuse, violence, and neglect. These are things we want to stop and that no one should go through. One hundred percent of the profits go to charities and beneficiaries that help stop these things and help women who have been victims of these things.

What was your experience like on stage?
It was amazing. Not only did it feel amazing to perform something you’ve worked so hard on every Friday night for the past three months, but it felt good that people were appreciating our performance and every single penny made went to a good cause.

What was it like taking on the role of a transvestite?
It’s obviously a sensitive issue? Honestly I never thought I would play a transvestite. I was definitely putting myself in a whole different world. I love acting and I know it’s all about putting yourself in someone else’s shoes.

Do you feel that playing a transvestite made you more sensitive to the discrimination and prejudices they face?
Yes, without a doubt. Honestly I’ve never really thought about the issue. I never thought about the trouble they have to go through, that any person who’s discriminated against has to go through. They’re judged unfairly and everyone deserves to have a vagina.

The play is about women empowerment? Did you discover any personal empowerment through the play?
First of all I never expected vagina to be part of my daily vocabulary. To be honest I never thought that having a vagina was something to be proud of. In the play, they say “my vagina is me.” That’s something I realized. You’re vagina is you. Be proud of it because women in other countries are looked down as inferior for having one.

Do you plan to pursue acting in your time at SDSU?
I would love to continue acting as SDSU. Honestly I learned so much about myself and the world and people in general through the relationships I have with fellow cast mates and everyone involved in theater.

One of the questions during the play was what would your vagina wear? What would be your answer to that question?
My vagina would wear hot pink, sparkly stilettos and be a sexy salsa dancer because I never will be.

Jazmine is a freshman at San Diego State University in beautiful SO Cal. With plans to major in Communication and double minor in public relations as well as TFM (Television, Film, and New Media), she deeply enjoys reading, writing, and getting to know people around campus. As the founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SDSU, her hopes are high and she is confident the branch will be a wonderful success. While in her first year of college, she is learning how to be more involved around campus while maintaining her studies. After spending a few childhood years living in Europe and traveling internationally, Jazmine has a passion for learning about different cultures from all over the world, especially the different foods! Future plans? She intends to have a career in media, preferably at a fashion magazine, such as Seventeen, or work with a popular television network such as OWN. In her free time she enjoys being with friends, reading, photography, Sunday church, learning how to play the ukulele, organizing things, and spending hours in the beauty department at almost any store.